Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtR

Recent and New Sightings

13 posts in this topic

New sighting

SN 8459 On GunBroker Stock looks newer and possibly reparked? Miltech?

Reposted

SN 4418 On Proxibid, last seen on GunBroker 1/15/2020

I once took in trade a 1903 Springfield that had been sporterized and ruined. I sent it to Miltech for refurbishment. I got back a brand new rifle with no holes drilled in the receiver and I thought it money well spent as it was no longer a mongrel, but a 1903 Springfield as good as the day it left the factory.

Some rifles have been abused and treated no better than a hammer, so if I was looking to buy a "correct" JSAR though not an original JSAR a Miltech rifle would be an excellent choice. I'm pretty sure the rifle was pretty beat if it had been sent to Miltech, and history and originality only goes so far. As I'd prefer a correct rifle rather than something butchered and abused.

There was a B prefix that sold this past weekend at Reata Pass auction in Prescott AZ. 

I will attempt to get the serial number. It was in pretty decent shape except for the broken mag hanger pin, the pins were in the wrong place and the spring top was snapped off.

Hammer price was $6250. Add the juice and you at 7 grand.

Ryche

I have to agree with eb in Oregon about the Miltech restoration.  I have an original JSAR that I have owned for 25 years.  It is in very good condition for being an 80 year old unrestored or unrefinished rifle.  About 15 years ago I purchased a Miltech JSAR because I really enjoy shooting this weapon and did not want to put 1,000's of rounds through an original rifle and beat it up.  The Miltech came and was cosmetically and mechanically perfect in all aspects.  Additionally it came with a brand new Match Grade barrel.  In the last 15 years I have put over 4,000 rounds through this rifle without a single misfire or misfeed and it will still print a 2 inch group at 100 yards with my 72 year old eyes looking through the sights and shooting 60 year old Milsurp ammo.  It has been the perfect solution for me.

Guys....don't get me wrong. MitTech puts out a great product. I was only wondering, considering the apparent condition, if this rifle might be a MilTech job.

19 hours ago, ArtR said:

Guys....don't get me wrong. MitTech puts out a great product. I was only wondering, considering the apparent condition, if this rifle might be a MilTech job.

Well Art, as that rifle appears new (and I'd conjecture there are few JSAR's out there in new original condition not in a museum that would list for $7,500) I'd stipulate that's a good supposition. But Miltech does not mark their products in any way. It arrives as new as a rifle can be made with no additions.

I got to fire a Miltech, back in 1999, a few years before I bought my  JSAR. It was the reason that even began to look for a JSAR. While it was a nice piece, it looked way "too new", so I began my slow search for an original.

I've always found it odd regarding thinking when it comes to refurbished rifles. There are millions of M1 Garand's and M1 Carbines out there that were used in battle and "run hard and put away wet." Millions were refurbished in the field and at arsenals, thus not being "completely original." Many were stripped to bare action and re-parked, thus not being "completely original." The collector value is still high these days, the more original the higher the value. However it is difficult, if not impossible to actually certify "originality."

I'm all about history, but I'm also all about having the best I can find and afford. In regards to that I find it odd that some people turn up their nose at a rifle that was refurbished by a facility other than a military arms depot. Especially as people will search for specific parts to return their rifle to "original," which is still changing the history of a given piece. I know, some like their rifle with dings, scratches, worn finish, and a little Dung Beetle poop on the stock as it is history. I've just never leaned that direction. I've an M1 Garand a close friend gave me years ago. It was imported from the stocks of old equipment from South Korea. And it looked like it had been at the Chosin and more. The stock was more firewood than anything and there was little finish left. But it was mechanically sound, the bore was good, and it shot very well. But after a few years I just couldn't stand the stock and replaced it with a Boyde's stock. Then a bit later the lack of finish bugged me so I packed it off the Fulton Armory for a complete gaging and refinish. My rifle is essentially new, with some "mix master" parts. I don't care if it isn't "completely original," It is a prized possession and will never leave my hands until I draw my last breath. So I don't mind a rifle competently restored to the same condition that it left the factory.

Dad himself had no problem and was actually flattered to receive a re-built Miltech JSAR many years ago. I think it had a sporter stock and scope sight but cannot remember to whom he gave or sold that rifle.

Has anyone recently   called/contacted Miltecharms.com to check price and availability on a 1941 Johnson? It seems at one time, they had two prices. One for a complete restoration and another if you sent your rifle in for restoration, where they would return replaced parts.

I know from years of collecting mil surp rifles myself and watching the market over the years that it is simply what one can find and afford. Many people cannot afford, if they can even find, a top quality "correct" and "original" military rifle, so, they buy what they find or can afford. This doesn't address the many uneducated "collectors" with a handful of cash that they are willing to spend on anything shoved in front of them. I think we have seen a lot of them over the past couple years spending their Covid money. 

The only thing better, though, is one with family history. These are valuable no matter what the condition!

B1483 the Chilean from ri brought $9500, add the bayonet from the very next lot which was probably on the gun 1500.

then the fee and your around 13,750 plus tax and shipping 

Which is really a jsar with a 7 mm bbl.

B4398 last seen May 2014 and B5298 last seen May 2020 are repeats appearing in  upcoming RIA Auction