Rarecat

My Semi LMG is finally ready

6 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

For me this is my "grail" gun.  My FFL dealer buddy got this for me at the Tulsa show last fall.  We suspect it may have come from Dr. Alperts collection.  This one was built on a JSAR receiver and a correctly modified lower.   We got it knowing it had feed issues but felt sure we could work them out. The feed problem was a combination of issues starting with the magazine door.  We got a replacement mag assembly from Joseph Scott thinking that would solve it but it wasn’t just that.  We pulled apart a JSAR and measured the feed rails in the receiver and found the LMG was too narrow and wouldn’t allow the round to sit high enough for the bolt to pick it up. 

After getting out the Dremel and micrometer we matched it up.  It got better but it still wouldn’t reliably feed rounds. After beating our heads on the wall we decided give it a rest and try a different mag (only had one with me at his shop).  I examined the mags I had at home and picked two that looked NOS….and that was the final piece of the puzzle.  The mag we were using the day before had the slightest dent in it but comparing it to the NOS ones the problem was apparent.  I found a picatinny style bipod and modified a rail to attach to the front handguard screw point. 

So after six months of ownership and fixing, it's ready to rock.  Next week we will take it to the range for the true test.   I'll post a video of our testing session...

20220512_110638.jpg

20220512_110715.jpg

Awesome, looking forward to the video!  I’m sure it will get some attention at the range!  Have fun with it. 

It sorta looks like a real JLMG......doesn't it?   :D ej

Congrats on getting it working , looks nice also!
Phil

thanks, it's mag and first round finicky but once it gets running it's good to go.  For that first round pick up, It seems to prefer yanking the bolt back and releasing rather than pulling and holding the bolt, then releasing.  the goal was function testing but we also confirmed it grouped it's shoots pretty well.