Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rarecat

LMG vs FG 42

12 posts in this topic

This is a chicken or egg question.  Both weapons have closed bolt semi, open bolt full auto capabilities with side mounted magazines, did one borrow from the other?  Were both developed independently but simultaneously?   I dug around this site and Mr. Canfields book and found no references....

Just curious

I don't seem to have much info on that either.  As both designs are so different i doubt there was any connection.

Be interested to see if MR. Canfield has any thoughts about that.

Ryche

Thank you Bruce, I do have your latest book but failed to look at it for this subject.  I figured based on the introduction dates the LMG was first and the FG 42 "copied" but had not seen anything in print on the subject.  

On 6/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, Bruce Canfield said:

I suppose it's possible that the Germans developed the FG-42 without being aware of the Johnson LMG, but I think it's more likely that they copied it.

I disagree as the design of both is completely different and the only actual similarities are that both are magazine fed from the left side, have a pistol grip, and an integral bi-pod. Recoil systems are different, gas system versus recoil, and the bolt design (copied by the M60 GPMG) and lock work are completely different. I have examined several FG42's but not a JLMG, however the pictures and diagrams show the differences. Rheinmetall may have known of the JLMG but again their rifle is completely different in my experience and opinion.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/smg-guns-fg-42-reproduction-review/377435

I was visiting Poulins auction house recently and Jeff felt quite certain that they have an FG-42 coming in for the November auction. I’ll start a “go fund me” when it hits a quarter of a million I’ll bid heavy and we can get together and play with them side by side on the range. 😊

Phil

Hope you have better luck then I do trying to convince my accountant that guns are a deductible as security.

After leaving active duty in the Army in 1974 I came home to Portland Oregon. I'd already learned a bunch about the FG42 and thought I'd inquire about availability and called J. Curtiss Earl in Phoenix, at the time the largest Class III business in the US. I asked how much an FG42 would cost. After a few moments of laughter Earl asked me how much I could afford as the last FG42 had sold at auction for about $125,000. That pretty much ended the conversation, and again that was 1974. So as less than 7,000 were made, and the guns in private hands are few and far in between, I'm guessing it won't go cheap. The last FG42 I saw was in the Oregon Military Museum's vault around 2005 or so. It had been turned in after the death of the gun's original owner and as it was unregistered it was supposed to be destroyed. The ATF allowed the museum to acquire it as part of it's collection due to it's rarity. And it was almost mint.

Rarecat is mortgaging his house to chip in, Eb I’ll put you down for ?

11 hours ago, matconcrete said:

Rarecat is mortgaging his house to chip in, Eb I’ll put you down for ?

Zip, nada, and none. I already made my donation this year to acquire materials and need not do another.