Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lambo35

.22-.30 Blazer barrel question.

12 posts in this topic

I am looking at the purchase of the above marked carbine barrel. The seller thinks it is the same as the 5.7 Johnson Spitfire cartridge. I have assembled and still have a 5.7 Spitfire carbine along with a finish reamer and a Go-headspace gauge. Are the Spitfire and Blazer barrel chambers compatible?

Also,when modifying the receiver feed ramp, are you raising the rear of the ramp or the front?

How about using "JB weld" for the ramp modification? I think others have done so, but I don't know how well it would hold up.

Many thanx!

Chuck Lamb.

After looking about for a bit I could find nothing specifically regarding the "22-30 Blazer." Nothing in SAAMI's drawings and specifications or anywhere else that I found. So it could be a 5.7MMJ chamber or another wildcat of similar design. The 5.7MMJ has several names which it is known under so your best bet is to take a chamber casting of both and measure them. As for the feed ramp it was built up at the front of the feed ramp with either brazing or welding and re-profiled. I've used JB Weld for numerous projects, but I wouldn't use it for a feed ramp. That would be a temporary thing, not a permanent thing. There are several threads in this forum that show the feed ramps of both and discuss feeding issues and profiles.

For what its worth, Donnelly shows "22/30 carbine" as an alternate name for the 5.7 mmj, but lists no "22/30 blazer" in his book-handloaders manual of cartridge conversions.

21 hours ago, Blueheeler said:

For what its worth, Donnelly shows "22/30 carbine" as an alternate name for the 5.7 mmj, but lists no "22/30 blazer" in his book-handloaders manual of cartridge conversions.

You sir are correct. I really like that book.

I am not familiar with "22/30 Blazer" and I have heard "22/30 Carbine" so proceed carefully as EB above suggests.

Thanx Ed, Eb, Blueheeler !

I have looked at the "Blazer" shell case [the owner sent me a few] and it is not compatible with the Spitfire, the shoulder is about 1/8" closer to the cartridge mouth and has a sharper slope angle and a smaller bullet griping surface. It is interesting, I will ask if I can take a look at the barrel.

Thanx again.

Chuck.

12 lands and 12 grooves? in basically a .22 size barrel?

An image of the chamber end of the barrel. Does it look like a hybrid barrel?

I bought the barrel and it came with reloading dies [2], 670 loaded cartridges, 1325 formed but empty casings and 915 bullets, all for $275.00 shipped.

Now I need to find a receiver :)

Thanx.

Chuck.

1236723721_magazines(19).JPG.359a0ea6b4eb1d924bcdff9ad033de4d.JPG

Looking down the barrel, assumed from the chamber end, I don't see any sign of a gas port. Not sure what you meant by a "hybrid" unless you are asking if a barrel liner was used. If so, I cannot tell from the photos. In any case, I don't view it as a spitfire.