Lucky Charms

New member with JSAR 6886

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!  I recently acquired receiver #6886 (no prefix).  I found it as a Standard Winfield; sportier stock w/ thin recoil pad, the Winfield three ring scope mount and sporter barrel.  It is in excellent condition with all her parts, no rust and the finish in great shape. The Cranston triangle and Dutch proof marks are present.  I finally found some M2 ball and a weaver mount rear peep (which I later discovered was too high) and took a trip to the range. She shot like a dream!  Thanks to all of you for the previous discussions about recoil spring condition. After a couple of shots, I examined the brass and noticed some very obvious signs of a weak recoil spring: a deep mark from the ejector and large dent on the side of the case. Well, back into the safe she goes until I can round up a new spring. Sigh.  My next project is complete disassembly to record all the numbers on the parts.  Also, I’m on my second reading of Mr. Canfield’s Johnson Rifle book. I find Melvin Johnson’s mechanical genius absolutely fascinating and cannot get enough!  I’m very excited about joining this forum and am looking forward to many interesting/informative conversations.

Cheers!

Edited by Lucky Charms
Misspellings

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your browsing.

The following information is provided from the production logs:

Receiver SN 6886, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 2/10/1942, Stock No. 2,  Barrel No. 9257E, Hammer Block No. 4841, Hammer No. 1121A, Bolt No. 8443, Locking Cam No. 6113, Firing Pin No. A3794,  Extractor No. 4288,  Magazine No. 6076, Disposition Date 2/12/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Check GunBroker for main springs. There were several springs up for sale there recently. Also e-bay.

Happy to be on here!  Thanks ArtR for the production log info. As soon as I can get the time for a complete tear down, I’ll compare the numbers. I’m very curious to see how many are the original parts. 

As an aside, nothing stays the same for very long. Our Johnson book by Canfield was initially published by Stuart Mowbray in 2002, twenty years ago. The 2nd printing was in 2006 with no major changes. It is not likely that we will see any further revisions. But the research still continues, and the most recent Canfield book on weapons of WWII has the latest research on Johnson weapons included.. I strongly recommend buying it for that reason. Bruce gives the Johnsons a very decent spread and is even posed in a photograph in the front shooting his own very rare Johnson Carbine...which we believe was Torgensen's. You can't beat that.  ej

That is hard to beat!  Thanks for the book recommendation. Hopefully there’s another printing, as they’re sold out. I love historical research, and the JSAR is a favorite subject.  I’m looking forward to reading new info about it. The JSAR was so forward thinking and practical when it was introduced. I enjoy discovering the logic behind the different features and contemporary thinking of of the 30’s-40’s. In other words, I’m totally geeking out. 

Whig: After looking at your 'included' photo, I wince and cringe.....SOOO MANY THINGS WRONG! I have to wonder how long any of those guys lived after that photo was taken!

Art, I have another picture like this that just defies logic. Great conversation piece, though! Too many questions that we will never know the answers to.