ArtR

New items seen

13 posts in this topic

B6574 On GunBroker...Sporter but SN is hard to read.... seller has what may be a "B" series rifle, where he has read the "B" as a "3"

I can’t read it either, it looks scratched up a bit.  

I can't be sure, but with 5 digits it is most likely a "B" as suggested, unlikely an "A" but in any case (unfortunately) we can't track the components unless it is only 4 digits.

In full disclosure, the "buyer" should be made aware that the "SN" may be inaccurate. As the seller, LSB, quoted "the book' so many times in his 'item description', I emailed seller with the following:

"FYI, Johnson Automatics never made any "5" numeral digit SN rifles. First series was 0001-9999, second and third series were letter prefixed as A0001-A9999 and B0001-B9999. (Canfield book, "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns", p.87). I think what you might have is a "B" series rifle, where the "B" prefix has been partially obliterated or it has been altered."

Just after I posted this, I got this email response:

"This is great info. I will get with the writer and see what's what!

Best,
          —Rick"
Edited by ArtR
Response to email

If you hold your cursor over picture 16 in the listing and examine the close-up view, the first character, upside down, sure looks like an "A" with the spacing and slanted lines at the top. Very difficult to tell but the spacing would be more consistent with an "A" than a "B", it appears.

Using my 'negative' enhancement technique, I made the following images using their images 16 and 18. I also include SN images with light strikes of  the prefix letter B and the numbers 3 and 8 for comparison. While they do not answer the question, they may spark some.

One thing that I have noticed over the years is the 'placement' of the SN is not uniform. I.E., there is no set starting or stopping position for the characters, when compared to the lettering in the line "MADE IN PROVIDENCE, R.I., U.S.A." This leads me to believe the SN receiver strike may have been a separate operation to the MFG receiver strike.

Image18NEG.png

Image16NEG.png

Screenshot from 2022-08-25 08-35-08a.png

Screenshot from 2022-08-25 08-27-08a.png

Excellent tool to use Art. I’ll have to try that. 

Hey Torrey

This is a technique that I learned many years ago when trying to read/decipher gravestones. While not exactly like, similar to using grahite-carbon rubs on paper to see what lies beneath. While not 100%, it does help many times.

ArtR

Glad to see my eyesight is still pretty good with these new glasses. Just don't ask me about my hearing......

In any case, Art, nice job in establishing no doubt about the "B".....  ej

55 minutes ago, Ed Johnson said:

Glad to see my eyesight is still pretty good with these new glasses. Just don't ask me about my hearing......

In any case, Art, nice job in establishing no doubt about the "B".....  ej

I wish I could say for certain that it is a "B", but cannot. I did, however, send another question to the seller, (LSB), about possibly posting a better photo of the SN. We will see.

Closest thing would be a number "8" but by the fairly straight perpendicular left line, compared with the more curvy perpendicular right line, I still would say it is a "B" for Boy. ej

This questionable SN item sold 9/4/22 for $3525.01