Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WHIG

New, "Mint" and "Perfect" Johnson 1941 on Guns International.

5 posts in this topic

🤦‍♂️🤑🤑🤑

Thats just crazy for a sporterized model but the scarcity of these beauties does have a price.

3 hours ago, WHIG said:

SN: B5298.  "Near Perfect."  Cracked stock. Repaired stock. 

The 'seller' is just accurately describing condition.  The small plug on the right buttstock was just a cosmetic fix that the company who sporterized the rifle did to 'cover' the 'recoil stop screw' seen on the left side of every JSAR. A real pain, if you need access to the screw. The 'left side cheek piece' seen in images 4 & 14,  it is not unusual for these pieces to possibly split, separate, or crack. While I cannot find them referenced specifically in 'the book's index'  section, somewhere in Canfield's "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns', the author explains the reason/need for the cheek pieces. The standard stocks were too narrow, when turned for the larger rotary magazine,  so either thicker wood was needed to turn the stock, OR glue the cheek pieces onto standard stock material and turn the stocks to size. While this is a sporter, that minor deficiency should not be a major detraction. See top photo, page 93, in the book, for a good representative stock sample with glued cheek pieces.

Regardless, the asking price is a bit over the top. While a nice sporter specimen, IMHO, not worth the asking price. I mentioned this rifle in a May post, and it sold at autcion in June for $7050.00.  But, as my dad always said, "Everything is worth only what someone is willing to pay."

I guess the person who bought it in June for $7050 thought they could flip it for a few thousand more. 70% profit, if it is sold, is pretty darn good even in today's mil surp market!

Hopefully, saner minds will prevail.