ArtR

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all

10 posts in this topic

I can honestly say this. It is with great pleasure to be able to send out a greeting to one and all!

WE just got back power AND Internet service after 38+ hours without power, and over 22 hours without Internet. While the power was out, I normally have Internet, but in this very rare instance, Internet too went down. I have a full house (tractor mounted) generator for such events, but the Internet loss was a first ever.

Our power went out Friday morning at 3:42 AM. While not normally an issue, the rain and  extremely high winds in this area did so much damage, mostly due to uprooted or toppled trees that damaged infrastructure. Then the extreme change in temperature, from a daytime high of 52F down overnight to 8F a few hours later, made roads nearly impassable as runoff turned to ice.  The Internet went down Friday evening about 8PM and the provider was so overwhelmed with calls, they basically disabled the 800 number.

The power companies (plural as there were repair crews still here from the previous outage done by heavy wet snow a few days earlier) are the unsung heroes in my book. I do not know about you folk, but up here, whenever I pass by a power or phone truck, as well as all fire and rescue, I give them all a 'high five".

Unfortunately, some in our rural area did or do not have back up power options. While many had heat alternatives, many did not. We offered to help many, and I loaned my small 2KW Inverter generator to an elderly neighbor, who has wood heat, for lights and refrigerator.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

So. All is well. Wishing one and all a Very Merry Christmas.

ArtR

Having that backup generator Art is a huge game saver, especially during that extreme cold event, and it’s not over yet. 
Those lineman really do earn their pay. 

Merry Christmas!!!

We have been blessed to have had power with our below zero temperatures here in Ohio. Lots to thank God for these days with so many suffering. Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

To all old members and new members as well.:rolleyes:

Something to Cheer you up:

This 1941 Johnson Hunting rifle, serial #A0095 is one of the first 100 to roll off the assembly line. When the soldiers saw it they immediately petitioned the U.S. Marine Corp to adopt this rifle. In trials against the M1 Garand, the Johnson rifle outshot it's competitor but ran out of ammo two rounds too soon, plus there was no metallic "PING" to alert the shooter or the enemy.  So Melvin added a "rotary" high capacity magazine. Alas the contract went to the M1 Garand as proposed by President Howard Taft. The first rifle "A0001" was presented to "Mary, Queen of Scotts." Unfortunately the inscribed plaque has subsequently gone missing but fortunately, I found a "Letter of Authenticity" neatly rolled up inside a storage compartment in the butt stock along with a bolt hold open and a firing pin. (Providence: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

1941 Johnson V model.jpg

1941 Johnson V model 23 front sight.jpg

....And then there is this: A "V" Model Johnson I picked up some time ago. The stock is actually in three sections, jointed together by some of the best woodworking I've seen.

If you don't look too close you'd think it's one piece. The "Vertical" magazine, is in 30.06 and seems to hold 5 or six rounds. This firearm is in excellent condition. It has an "after-market" rear sight and front sight. The butt stock has the military pattern storage holes but with a hard plastic/bakelite butt plate

Serial number A0095, well buffed and highly blued.

1941 Johnson V model 7.jpg

1941 Johnson V model 17.jpg

Merry Christmas one and all!  M48Tanker just made my day with that story.  Remember kids, if you read it on the internet it's true!

I am never sure if these links work, but will try just the same. Local paper article with photos with some of the downed trees which wrecked havoc across our area this past weekend.

As of this writing, there were still 1133 houses without power, in 40 towns, from 170 reported incidents. This is down from the over 58,000 homes that were affected at the height of the storm. Crews from Massachusetts, New York, and other locations assisted Vermont crews, all giving up time with their family and friends during this holiday season, just so others could have lights and heat.Truly unsung heroes!!!!!

Once again....I am grateful I don't live in Buffalo, NY.

Why more people don't have generators....is beyond me.

Happy New Year to you all......   Ed J

My wife's uncle previously lived in the Buffalo area (Orchard Park), before he retired. He was firefighter for Buffalo, a volunteer firefighter for Orchard Park, and an Engineer for ConRail. To say the least, his life was different, but annual snowfall and all that it entailed took up a huge portion of his time. He was always amazed at some of the 'calls' that he responded to where people did not have proper snow handling equipment, proper heating, or even generators. Crazy, but true.

How shameful !!

I totally forgot to include highway crews in my list of unsung heroes !  Truly shameful, as my son-in-law works on the highway crew. Formally on the State crew, and currently on our town crew. They too work many odd shifts and long hours, often giving up family time to keep roads clear and safe for everyone else. Both state and town crew trucks also get high fives from me.