ARHthe1st

Bayonet Identification

10 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a simple way to tell between original and reproduction bayonets?

A local store had one, but the owner said while he knew the scabbard was reproduction, he had no idea on the bayonet itself. It looks to be in too nice of shape, so I'm thinking it's a reproduction, but I would like your opinions

IMG_20221228_134818928.jpg

IMG_20221228_134824904.jpg

IMG_20221228_134843791.jpg

IMG_20221228_134848244.jpg

IMG_20221228_134850396.jpg

The scary thing, is how good some of these are getting. Once they figure out that they have just a few changes to make, they will soon flood the market with fakes.

Maybe not such a good idea to have such definitive photos showing the bad points.  It is both a good thing, and  yet maybe bad.

Catch 22 on the pictures. Without them, how do most people know? I reviewed the above pictures to make sure the one I bought was authentic. We have the same problem with Krag-Jorgensen rifles where people have been making fake Model 1896 carbine rear sights. An authentic Model 1896 Krag carbine rear sight sells for at least $1,000 by itself. Many people who don't know that have been duped and ripped off. Money rules in everything, unfortunately.

"It is both a good thing, and  yet maybe bad." 

1 hour ago, WHIG said:

Catch 22 on the pictures. Without them, how do most people know? I reviewed the above pictures to make sure the one I bought was authentic. ......... Money rules in everything, unfortunately.

That is exactly my point. Some of the early 'repros' were really crude, and were clearly recognized.  Today, one has to look very closely, trying to compare some 'side by side' photos, or better yet, side by side bayonets. Once these people truly figure it out, it will take a forensic examination to determine real from fake.