ArtR

SN 5700 -- One of the first 25 USMC JSAR's

19 posts in this topic

SN 5700  on Gun Broker (I apologize for an earlier mistake that I made)

This rifle, while not perfect, is confirmed to be one of the 25 first JSAR's acquired by the USMC.  The barrel is a replacement, made in Denmark. There are some other notable issues such as the receiver in the area of the bolt stop plate, odd bolt handle,  the missing front cross pin, and hand guard missing cut out for the cross pin  (see photos). There are other potential stock issues. I did notice one thing in particular, which is a positive, which I will not note here, but will reveal to the potential buyer, if purchased.

pix952705332.jpg

pix626935363.jpg

I have a bolt handle like that one that i bought from another member many years ago.

I believe they were made to emulate the Garand cocking handle.

Ryche

I wonder if one should be worried about operation, especially, considering this photo. Definitely, the bolt stop plate may not be securely fastened.

5700b.jpg

I saw that too.  While it would probably be OK I don't think I'd shoot it.   I kinda like my face the way it is 

It does not look like an intentional modification to me. It almost looks like someone had a problem releasing the bolt stop plate button, and in the process (maybe a forced punch) the piece broke/severed.

I wonder how all the changes from what it started out as will effect the value? 
any thoughts?

Less than 2 days left on this penny auction. Amazing, how if a seller lets the market drive the price, what has and might happen. This could get interesting.

Looks like Bubba slapped that front sight on fairly recently judging from the mostly missing finish .Guess he threw his pin punch away after he broke the receiver trying to depress the bolt stop pin and had to resort to the ball peen hammer alone with the consequent denting of the sight. But his Dremel tool (evidenced by the circular grinding marks remaining at bottom of sight) smoothed over most of the damage and a judicious application of sand paper removed all evidence of the repair. Almost.Too bad he ran out of touch up bluing. Fortunately, after beholding the results of his machine work, he was struck with sudden doubt about his metallurgical skills and therefore declined to repair the damage to the receiver bolt stop retainer pin hole area, thus saving face (literally) for himself and the potential buyer. Preceding fictional account does not depict any actual persons or events, past or present.

bubba front sight.jpg

Ha ha, great descriptions of bubba’s work.  Did you happen to notice in picture #73.  Bubba’s sense of direction is off by 180 degrees. 

Sadly,all it has going for it is the serial number.

WOW! Auction closed at $16025 with 20 bids

Yeah! Not too shabby for a 'penny' auction. Some of the other 4-5 high priced sellers, with no bids, should take note!

So Art, can you disclose the secret you observed about this one?  Readers want to know! :o

"I did notice one thing in particular, which is a positive, which I will not note here, but will reveal to the potential buyer, if purchased."

I am still sort of hoping that the 'buyer' might visit this site and inquire about the rifle. I will give it a little more time. Remind me if we do not see an inquiry in 3-4 weeks.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, ArtR said:

Yeah! Not too shabby for a 'penny' auction. Some of the other 4-5 high priced sellers, with no bids, should take note!

Just noticed that two current Gun Broker JSAR 'penny' auctions have had bid activity today. These two may bear watching over the next 3-10 days

Art, you big tease! :D  I'll check back in a few weeks. But given how you phrased your original post, my guess is that the secret does not relate to the barrel or the stock, which if accurate would narrow things down a bit, especially since the deeper internals are not pictured. Something about the bolt s/n perhaps? Love a good mystery!