Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed Johnson

Difference in 5.7 ammo

3 posts in this topic

Following up on a previous topic, I call everyone's attention to page 22 and page 34 of the March 2023 edition of the American Riflemen.

Page 22 contains the brief article I submitted in "Readers Write" which describes the differences between the MMJ 5.7 mm Spitfire (or 5.7 mm Johnson) versus the newer model 5.7 x 28mm mm FN round basically designed for 5.7x28 mm semi-auto pistols. It was primarily to warn folks that they are not the same. Now that both Ruger as well as Smith & Wesson are producing 5.7x28 pistols,and Ruger a 5.7x28 carbine, we will see the new ammo more frequently. They had a nice photo which I received from one of you (Eric B. maybe?) showing the 2 rounds along with a .30 cal M1 Carbine round.

And on page 34 "Questions and Answers" concerning the M1 Carbine itself, Bruce Canfield provides an excellent summary of how that weapon was utilized effectively for the purpose that was intended. It was NEVER meant to compete with the performance of the M1 Garand in calber 30:06. It WAS meant to out-perform the .45 1911 pistol, which it basically did.

Ed J

Both articles were excellent. I received my "American Rifleman" last Wednesday and grinned like a monkey reading those two articles.

A place for everything, everything in it's place.