Offalert

Basement find

13 posts in this topic

Good afternoon. A friend of mine found a 1941 Johnson in her basement a month ago. She says it was her grandfather's and he had it forever.  He was a veteran of WW2.   Since she hates any kind of guns, asked me if I wanted it. Of course I said yes. 

So I have not done anything to this 1941 Johnson except give it a very, very light cleaning and oiled it.  So it's pretty much as it was found.  I'm not sure where I should go from here with this one.  So I'm looking for some advice what to do with it. The only thing that seems to be missing are (2) front recoil stop screws.  The metal piece for them is still there in the stock for them. Any ideas where to get them would be great too.  The stock might have been burnt or a very dark stain/black paint put in it.  Nothing seem wrong with the action but it definitely needs a really good cleaning 

I'm working on trying to get some pictures uploaded, but seem to keep failing to upload... Probably a thread somewhere on it.

Any advice would be great 

Thanks

Offalert

serial c.jpg

Edited by Offalert
wrong word used

WOW, nice basement find!  I would be tempted to go look for your self to see if there is anything else that was overlooked. Looking forward to some more pictures. 

Will be interesting to see how many parts are original, when you get time to gently disassemble.

nice find, no guns in my basement, only skeletons in the closets.

As is stated at the bottom of the 'reply screen', just either drag files to the 'paperclip icon' or use the 'choose files..." option, which allows your to navigate to where you photos saved. Once there, select all that you want to attach, and then press okay or open.

Screenshot from 2023-04-10 22-40-24.png

54 minutes ago, ArtR said:

As is stated at the bottom of the 'reply screen', just either drag files to the 'paperclip icon' or use the 'choose files..." option, which allows your to navigate to where you photos saved. Once there, select all that you want to attach, and then press okay or open.

49 minutes ago, maconners said:
54 minutes ago, ArtR said:

I keep getting an error of "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"  I've dropped the size of the pic to around 300 KB and as a .jeg

1 hour ago, camstuff said:

WOW, nice basement find!  I would be tempted to go look for your self to see if there is anything else that was overlooked. Looking forward to some more pictures. 

there is... I'm waiting to go back for others .

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new "Friend". Your adventure starts now!:D

On 4/10/2023 at 11:43 PM, Offalert said:

I keep getting an error of "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"  I've dropped the size of the pic to around 300 KB and as a .jeg

there is... I'm waiting to go back for others .

Are you using "jpg" or "jpeg" as file type. "JEG" is not recognizable.

hand.jpgmid_line.jpgunder.jpgbarrel.jpg

On 4/10/2023 at 10:46 PM, ArtR said:

Here are a few more pics

Offalert,

I've totally restored several Johnsons and it's a lot of fun. Sometimes, they are so close to original that doing nothing is best, but I think your rifle has gone beyond that point.:o

Personally, (and this is just my opinion) I'd bead blast and parkerize all the metal. Then minimal sanding on the wood and a walnut stain....no high gloss please! Mr. Joe Scott can advise you on the proper stain and application. I've used MinWax Special Walnut with just a bit of Mahogany added to it for that slightly reddish look.

It looks like a great project to me and I'm sure you'll be proud of it when it's restored. I've been able to make several screws when I can't find them. You might be surprised at what you can do with a dremel and a hacksaw. Get the correct thread size and pitch from the hardware store and then alter the head size and shape to suit your needs.Fore end recoil stop screw.JPGgunscrew.JPG

I'm always available for advice:D...whether you want it or not.:rolleyes:

M48TANKER