Jimbocious

"Documented" WWII JSAR NOT sold @ RIA Auction

10 posts in this topic

I guess it is good that these rifles are fetching this kind of money, but like any hobby/pursuit, it is also an investment in time and with enough legwork you can still find a JSAR at a more reasonable price. I picked up a B-prefix at a local show a few weeks ago for a very reasonable price (especially compared to what his Garands were priced at), so a deal can still be had if you keep at it. Selling at auction and now on platforms like Gunbroker (which now generate reportable 1099s) is a turnoff for many casual sellers.

If casually selling a gun is reportable income then its time to expense the purchase, I’ve been wanting to categorize them as security for some time.

Hi,

I was the second highest bidder for that rifle. RIAC called me shortly after the auction ended stating that the winner was in a state where the rifle is prohibited. They offered it to me at the current price but I passed. I had a sealed bid for lot 3416 — which I ended up winning. Waiting for brown Santa to deliver it today!

ETA: I thought they were going to re-list it on Sunday but I was either misinformed or something changed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the seller got cold feet after seeing the lukewarm reception. 

Edited by JK Defense
Additional information

Hi JK Defense and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you kept your wits about you. Keep your ears to the ground and you will locate a JSAR that you both want and can feel comfortable with. In the meantime, browse the forum, ask questions, and get to know other fellow JSAR friends.

ArtR

On 5/24/2023 at 11:17 AM, Jimbocious said:

The third item listed, I finally looked at both it and the 'receiver' markings.

As seen on RIA  & sold $10575 5/20/2023, the SN has a strange imprint in the prefix location which looks very much  like the top portion of a “B” prefix letter. Anyone else wondering?

6561?.png

Just received it. It does look like a wire brush wheel could have been used. The bottom of the first 6 is not as sharply defined as the second 6. 

IMG_2865.jpeg

It is a B. No other explanation. It certainly isn't an A. Looks like someone was playing a game. But if it shoots well; and you didn't feel you overpaid, keep it as a shooter?

On 6/3/2023 at 7:06 AM, JK Defense said:

Hi,

I was the second highest bidder for that rifle. RIAC called me shortly after the auction ended stating that the winner was in a state where the rifle is prohibited. They offered it to me at the current price but I passed. I had a sealed bid for lot 3416 — which I ended up winning. Waiting for brown Santa to deliver it today!

ETA: I thought they were going to re-list it on Sunday but I was either misinformed or something changed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the seller got cold feet after seeing the lukewarm reception. 

Maybe the 3rd highest bidder bought it for the current price?