DR2240

New member / newly acquired rifle

10 posts in this topic

I recently acquired serial number 4744 and I'm looking to learn what I can about this rifle's history. It appears to be one of the Chilean imports chambered in 7mm. I've attached some photos and would appreciate any comments or insight about the rifle. It has a few dings and the machining on the receiver seems a bit rough, but having never handled another JSAR I'm not sure if that's just how they were. There's also what looks like scoring on the outside of the bolt, but again maybe that's normal too? I removed the barrel for pictures but haven't done anything else so far. It could use a cleaning for sure. From what I can tell it was in a safe probably since the 80's. It was part of a collection held by a gentleman who recently passed away and was sold to me by his estate. I don't think much of the collection was fired often, many of the more "modern" (80's and 90's vintage) pieces were still in their original boxes.

It also came with a second 7mm barrel with all of the hardware (sight, bayo lug, etc.) I'd love to get a .30-06 barrel. Not sure if anyone might be up for a trade or if anyone might have a sportsterized barrel that I could transfer the mil parts back onto. Definitely interested to hear ideas.

FullSizeRender.JPEG

FullSizeRender-1.JPEG

IMG_3952.JPEG

IMG_3955.JPEG

IMG_3956.JPEG

IMG_3957.JPEG

IMG_3960.JPEG

IMG_3961.JPEG

IMG_3963.JPEG

IMG_3964.JPEG

IMG_3966.JPEG

IMG_3967.JPEG

IMG_3970.JPEG

IMG_3971.JPEG

IMG_3973.JPEG

IMG_3974.JPEG

IMG_3975.JPEG

IMG_3976.JPEG

IMG_3977.JPEG

IMG_3980.JPEG

IMG_3982.JPEG

IMG_3984.JPEG

IMG_3950.JPEG

IMG_3951.JPEG

IMG_3953.JPEG

IMG_3954.JPEG

IMG_3958.JPEG

IMG_3965.JPEG

IMG_3969.JPEG

IMG_3972.JPEG

IMG_3979.JPEG

IMG_3983.JPEG

IMG_3987.JPEG

IMG_3988.JPEG

IMG_3989.JPEG

Beautiful rifle... Congrats. keep an eye on ebay & gunbroker for barrels & parts, Numrich & Sarco have a few items.

Pic #19 shows 30-06 on the barrel collar & #33,34 show Cal 7 stamping.  Did the previous owner install the wrong barrel collar? I will take a look at my 7mm barrel tonight.

10 minutes ago, mmeridith said:

Beautiful rifle... Congrats. keep an eye on ebay & gunbroker for barrels & parts, Numrich & Sarco have a few items.

Pic #19 shows 30-06 on the barrel collar & #33,34 show Cal 7 stamping.  Did the previous owner install the wrong barrel collar? I will take a look at my 7mm barrel tonight.

Both barrels have the same markings (30-06 on the collar and 7mm on the chamber.) The only difference that I can see is the spare is marked 8084E on that locating lug thing.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for providing such good photos to start with.

Be advised. Your rifle is probably a 7mm cal as it was originally destined for CHILE, it has a 'stepped up' barrel,  the barrel has what appears to be a lot of proof marks that might have obscured the  Cal 7mm strike, and also it is a Navy Arms import.

Others may chime in, but....from what I see, your rifle is in really  very good overall as issued condition. Many of the 'issues' that you have stated look very normal. The stock wood shows minimal wear. The barrel, muzzle, loading gate, and many other parts show minimal wear as well.  The screws are not buggered. You might want to compare the SN of the spare 7mm barrel  to the parts list below, just in case. Look back in some recent posts to find if your stock as a number in the correct location.

A JSAR in 7mm is a very shootable rifle, if you have a good source for 7mm ammo. While a .30-06 would be easier to source ammo, it might be harder to find a good shootable .30-06 barrel.

The following information is provided from the production logs:

Receiver SN 4744, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 1/30/1942, Stock No. 2, Barrel No. 6454E, Hammer Block No. 6575, Hammer No. 0399A, Bolt No.  5675, Locking Cam No. 6824, Firing Pin No. 5993,  Extractor No.4552,  Magazine No. 4072, Disposition Date 2/3/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - Chile

Without proper and reliable provenance, be very careful about claims of both ownership and usage.

ArtR

P.S. The barrel collar having the 30-06 & 41 is normal for 7mm barrels.

VERY nice rifle!!  I don't see anything out of the ordinary as far as machining goes - receiver and bolt look like every other Johnson I've seen.  Congratulations!  

Congratulations on your new addition! A true Chilean Johnson. It looks nice. I see some stampings on the left side towards the rear of the receiver that show US and a couple of other markings that I’ve never seen before on a Chilean or any other Johnson, and the small cartouche on the bottom side of the grip. This makes me curious.  Have fun shooting this, I’m sure people at the range will like to see this one. 

Good to hear that you were aware of the caliber mismatch on the barrels.

Here are some pics of my guide collars and barrel stamps.  Now I am curious... My 30-06 stamped guide does not have the stamping on the barrel near the breech. 

I have only shot the .270 a few times, did not have any 30-06 ammo with me last time we took it out.

Barrel Stamp 7mm s.jpg

Barrel Guide .270 s.jpg

Barrel Stamp 270.jpg

Barrel Guide 7mm s.jpg

Barrel Guide 30-06 s.jpg

Serial 2953 s.jpg

Case s.jpg

Welcome, new guy. Thanks for sharing your interesting Johnson 1941 rifle. It sure seems to have a lot of history wrapped up in one treasure. It looks like the rifle, metal and stock, has all been together for a long time. Hope you can find the right ammo for this rifle and enjoy shooting it sometime. 

There are several possible options for ammo purchase, but today, one of the least expensive that I have seen was BudsGunShop.

DR2240, that is a very nice JSAR, and I wish I had it. While 30-06 is more common, there is nothing wrong with 7mm Mauser. Actually of the two I think the 7mm generally softer to shoot and easier on the rifle. Though not as common anymore and expensive as commercial ammo. Again, nice rifle.

And I agree with Art, those are some mighty fine photographs.