ArtR

SN R-14

11 posts in this topic

SN R-14 apparently in YouTube Video?

First I have heard of this SN and found on YT. I can barely pick out SN in video

Edit: Then saw a better view of SN and Markings

R-14.png

Screenshot from 2023-07-19 12-37-09.png

I've read about the addition of this wooden fore-stock in one of my "Johnson" books. I can't remember which book had the info. But the existence of this design is no surprise to me. I seem to remember that the addition of that wood fore-stock might have been done in order to meet the criteria for competing with the design of the M1 Garand.

I'm certain this modification didn't work out because of the additional weight which the wood "fore-stock" added. The 1941 Johnson already had enough problems cycling with the Garand type bayonet and that's why the simple "spike bayonet/tent peg" was used. Please someone chime it with book, chapter, and verse where I read this.

I'm going to have to go back to the books and read the whole story. There exists a prototype "Johnson Dagger Bayonet", owned by one of our collectors, Bill Short, which was an interim compromise design. I don't know if there are any more than that ONE wood handled bayonet in existence, but I would sure like to own one.:D

It is pictured below:

Bill Shorts Johnson bayonet 5.jpgBills Short Johnson 002.jpgBills Short Johnson 003.jpgBills Short Johnson 004.jpgBills Short Johnson 006.jpg

This appears to be a British Enfield bayonet blade which was mated to a 1941 Johnson bayonet rear section. That would be much easier to do than to fabricate an artwork like Bill Short's "Johnson Dagger Bayonet"

Even I could duplicate this:

s-l1600.jpg

The "Donor Blade" is shown below:

British bayonet.JPG

I've looked at literally thousands of pictures of bayonets from all over the world and haven't found one like Bill's: (:lol: I want one so much!:wub:)

Bill Shorts Johnson bayonet 5.jpg

WOW! Tanker, that is a beautiful looking bayonet. Have to wonder if that was a one-off or if they were actually produced. I too would love to have one. Unique for sure!

Thanks for this entry, Phil. In your travels, do you know anyone at Cody? I might want to get an inventory of the guns they have.  ej

Hi Ed

This is the contact I received help from when researching what turned out to be your dads LMG, they were quite helpful.

I never thought to ask of a list of Johnsons, good Idea! Phil

Danny Michael
Robert W. Woodruff Curator

Cody Firearms Museum

p: 307.578.4099
e: 
dannym@centerofthewest.org

There’s a nice collection at Shooter’s Outpost in Hookset, NH. There are 3 JSAR’s that look original, complete with bayonets. Also a couple of LMG’s, one of which looks like a ‘44 with a 1941 stock.  Also, a magazine bag full of lmg mags. They’re in a nice museum attached to the store. It’s a comprehensive collection of military arms from WW1 to present. 

Yes, very nice collection at shooters outpost, m1s to miniguns, my gun collection has a long way to go.

Phil

Thanks, guys, for this info. I will follow up later on. Still trying to keep my ear to the ground on the 4 Johnson prototypes etc. that went out from Amoskeag...   Ed J