ArtR

01/03/2024 New Link For Items Seen

75 posts in this topic

Below are two rifles not seen before:

SN B3378  sold 1/15/2024 $9025.00

SN B1204  sold 1/16/2024 $7999

New member here, (thanks for the help so far!) with a fairly nice C&R collection. I really think I want to add a Johnson next. What do we think of B3378?

I have “the book”, and I’ve wanted an M1941 since about 2005. 

A quick look at B3378 shows that it looks to be a complete rifle with the bolt hold open option in place.  The finish and patina look good but the main stock appears to be a replacement either repo or probably Winfield.  No telling on the condition of the barrel but it is military configuration.  This would be a good starter/shooter if the bidding doesn't get out of hand.  I'd consider buying  this one if it was 5K to 6K or less

I agree a complete rifle, however, considering the probable final price, I would ask for more detailed, better lighting, and higher resolution photos. This is not too much to ask for considering the money that this item will command.

Also includes what appears to be a nice 1917 sling, which could also be confirmed with an imprint image.

The buttstock does have a plugged "recoil stop screw hole", but other than that, sort of looks original. Better photos sure would help.

I just bought B1204. I will post pics soon. My grandfather had one that he would let me shoot around 35-40 years ago, along with a Garand and an M1 carbine. He had troves of Japanese stuff, which sparked my interest in collecting. He was a Marine in the Pacific theatre. My other grandpa was an Army Medic in the Pacific theatre, and also had tons of Japanese and American items. We lost the Johnson and other rifles in a farmhouse fire in late 1990s, and I am just now replacing this lost gem. 

Ill post pics soon. I just picked it up yesterday.

Bulldog43: Welcome to the forum and we hope that you get a great rifle and can enjoy.

Once you have had a chance to disassemble, and clean, you will have to give us a report. Other than the slight blemish around the front cross pin, the stock is in remarkably good condition. The metal also seems quite good. Truly, a nice looking rifle.

New Items Seen:

ProxiBid SN B3659 Dirk Soulis Auctions

ProxiBid SN 5770 RIA

ProxiBid SN 5072 RIA

ProxiBid SN B8817 RIA

ProxiBid SN B8029 RIA

ProxiBid SN B7320 RIA was last seen on RIA 9/14/2021

On 1/20/2024 at 11:56 AM, Bulldog43 said:

I just bought B1204. I will post pics soon. My grandfather had one that he would let me shoot around 35-40 years ago, along with a Garand and an M1 carbine. He had troves of Japanese stuff, which sparked my interest in collecting. He was a Marine in the Pacific theatre. My other grandpa was an Army Medic in the Pacific theatre, and also had tons of Japanese and American items. We lost the Johnson and other rifles in a farmhouse fire in late 1990s, and I am just now replacing this lost gem. 

Ill post pics soon. I just picked it up yesterday.

Looks like a very nice example.  Congrats and welcome to the forum!

On 1/21/2024 at 6:22 AM, ArtR said:

Once you have had a chance to disassemble, and clean, you will have to give us a report. Other than the slight blemish around the front cross pin, the stock is in remarkably good condition. The metal also seems quite good. Truly, a nice looking rifle.

Thank you. I am extremely pleased with it. 

On 1/22/2024 at 10:37 AM, tinsoldier said:

Looks like a very nice example.  Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Thank you. Pleased to be in the club! I am thrilled with the all-around condition. 

You got a really nice JSAR for this price that looks good except for pock marks on the wood which are not bad. Many of thse in this original condition are selling for over $10,000. Hopefully it shoots well for you. Keep us informed when you get it and check it out well. Welcome!

Johnson parts picture.JPG

Question for you guys with knowledge of Winfield sporters.

I notice that on these the recoil spring housing tube stop screw holes are usually filled in on the butt stock. Is the stop usually present under the plug, or is the spring tube held in place only by wood contact and the butt plate? 

New Items Seen:

Proxibid SN A0494 (Centurian Arms)

Proxibid SN B6447 (Centurian Arms)

Proxibid SN 1890 (Centurian Arms)

Proxibid SN B1331 (Centurian Arms) last seen 4/20/2023

[In addition to 3 other items posted on Jan 21]

6 hours ago, tsmgguy said:

Question for you guys with knowledge of Winfield sporters.

I notice that on these the recoil spring housing tube stop screw holes are usually filled in on the butt stock. Is the stop usually present under the plug, or is the spring tube held in place only by wood contact and the butt plate? 

The tube "stop" bar has been present on all the sporters which I have encountered. Most which I've seen, have no screws holding the "stop" in place...only wooden plugs recessed flush with the surface. Sometimes it looks like they attempted to match the wood grain and sometimes it appears they didn't even try to match the stock's grain or even come close. I have seen a few sporter stocks which have the plugged hole on only one side...I couldn't find a plug on the other side.

SN B3650 seen on Gun Broker (stock crack)

SN A4112  (read backwards sight) back again on GB with a much lower starting bid.

"New old stock condition" my foot.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:55 PM, M48TANKER said:

The tube "stop" bar has been present on all the sporters which I have encountered. Most which I've seen, have no screws holding the "stop" in place...only wooden plugs recessed flush with the surface. Sometimes it looks like they attempted to match the wood grain and sometimes it appears they didn't even try to match the stock's grain or even come close. I have seen a few sporter stocks which have the plugged hole on only one side...I couldn't find a plug on the other side.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, matconcrete said:

That will be interesting, if any research is done on the rifle before purchase.

HMMMM - If that was issued to the Marines, it either saw no use or was redone after? Just IMHO

12 hours ago, matconcrete said:

S-10 went a little to high for me 20 plus fees, I wonder what one of the 24 USMC will bring?

https://cwocauctions.proxibid.com/USMC-Para-Marine-Shipped-M-1941-Johnson-Semi-Automatic-Rifle-by-Cranston-Arms/lotInformation/82456365

I thought it would go higher than that. It is an interesting and historic piece.

HMMMM - If that was issued to the Marines, it either saw no use or was redone after? Just IMHO

8 hours ago, ArtR said:

That will be interesting, if any research is done on the rifle before purchase.

When I said that, I meant, for that kind of money, I would want seller to disassemble rifle and give me the SN of every part for confirmation of "originality". Just claiming "Frame and magazine appear original" says nothing.

I agree Art, to be top value I would want more info, I will ask, can’t hurt. Too bad if all its life history was scrubbed with a rebuild. 
Phil