JAG2955

Johnson restoration costs?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, a local acquaintance came into a Johnson at a very low price. I may be able to convince him to let go of it.
It appears to be the military configuration with the Johnson scope mount as seen in Canfield’s book. 
It’s missing all of the rear sight components, front sight and bayonet lug. Other than the drilling and tapping, I think it would be a steal. I would likely send it off to a pro (Miltech?) for restoration.
Does anyone know the current price for Miltech work?
What would an appropriate price be for the rifle in that state?

I have a bad habit of picking up molested milsurps and repairing them. 

Hi JAG2955

Welcome to the forum.

The Miltech site shows $2895 as their price, plus any price you pay for the rifle and any subsequent shipping/insurance, but you will want to contact them directly to find out exactly what to expect.. If you could locate the required parts and either a competent gunsmith or DIY, you might be able to do the job for less.

ArtR

Thanks for the response, Art. I’d like to get the holes filled, everything else I could easily DIY. I know Brownells has plug screws that can be screwed in and then filed/stoned/peened. I’m not a fan of a complete refinish as I think that makes rifles lose their character. 

I know that I’ll probably “lose” money, lol. 

Just keep in mind. Even though a "sporter", it is still a JSAR, and shoots and functions like one, and regardless, will be the center of attention at any range.

Jag- Welcome! Glad you made it here. I own a great military configuration Johnson 1941 rifle and love it. I had wanted one almost 20 years before I came to this forum and learned a bunch about them before buying one. I'm glad I researched it first and found good friends here before buying.

Good luck on your choice and keep us informed.

Best pic disassembled.JPG

DSCN7456 2.JPG

DSCN7463.JPG

PM sent. 1-8-24