M48TANKER

"Original" 1941 Johnson barrel with Marbles front sight.

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious about this barrel. Since it's an original 1941 Johnson barrel, why can't I see any indication of the "steps" on the muzzle end where the military sight and bayonet lug would have been? Also, I can't see any indication of there having been any drill channels for the tapered cross pins which would have held the sight and bayonet lug. Did Winfield, or some other surplus seller, have some of the original barrels turned down from the center guide bushing out to the muzzle end?

Item number: https://www.ebay.com/itm/116068949421?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=3e20249fa93b4c2e94a4928fae7d1ad2&bu=43191630959&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20240216021631&segname=11021

seller's description.JPG

I made an offer on it and the seller accepted, should have it in hand shortly. I should be able to iff the pin grooves were welded up or if maybe it is just a new barrel with johnson parts installed in it. Will let you know what I find out when I get it!

dawg180

Thanks dawg180:lol:

If the Marbles front sight was installed over a stock diameter muzzle, it could be sweated off and an original sight and bayonet lug put on in it's place. You might have to get the steps turned down on a lathe. Those dimensions are here on the board somewhere.

I've done this several times. If you need help just let me know.

Got the barrel today, it is an actual Johnson barrel with matching serial number on the barrel and barrel extension and the "JA 30-06" near the breech end.

It either was welded up super proferssionally, or possibly turned down at the muzzle end (slight taper) to remove the pin marks, or I guess it could have been a factory barrel with no front sight or bayonet lug ever installed, so I will have to measure it to see what diameter it is near the muzzle.

If you can dig up the muzzle diameter on a factory barrel that would be great, otherwise a friend of mine has a 1941 Johnson that I can measure the outside diameter of the barrel to compare.

2 hours ago, dawg180 said:

Got the barrel today, it is an actual Johnson barrel with matching serial number on the barrel and barrel extension and the "JA 30-06" near the breech end.

It either was welded up super proferssionally, or possibly turned down at the muzzle end (slight taper) to remove the pin marks, or I guess it could have been a factory barrel with no front sight or bayonet lug ever installed, so I will have to measure it to see what diameter it is near the muzzle.

If you can dig up the muzzle diameter on a factory barrel that would be great, otherwise a friend of mine has a 1941 Johnson that I can measure the outside diameter of the barrel to compare.

I'm getting a micrometer reading on one of mine at .562" at the muzzle.  .590" just in front of the bayonet lug.  If that helps any.