Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tylis2

Looking at my first Johnson SN8700

9 posts in this topic

:unsure:

I've wanted a JR for years, and now I have to look at one next weekend. I think I've read every post on this site, but I haven't gotten the book yet.

OK, this is one of those stories where I put the word out and a friend of a friend has one. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told it's #8700, is all original, and has good honest wear with a 'decent' bore, a nice greenish blue to the metal and not piited or reblued. The stock is dark, but would clean up well. Again, this is what I'm told!

His asking price is $5500, which would be the most I've every spent on a military arm...but I want one!

Am I crazy???

ps. don't tell the wife.

Steve

Well, if the friend of a friend is really a friend, he will let you look, touch, and fondle it. He will also maybe let you get the professional opinion of another friend, someone on this board. If you can get some pics, you could post them, and some other "friends" here might be able to give you their honest opinion. Maybe, if you are in the area of a "friend" on this board, someone might be able to accompany you when you go to look. If the rifle is truly original, and is really in good shape, then maybe his asking price is not too much. However, we/you will never know unless we/you see it.

Since the asking price of the rifle is in the near stratosphere, I do not think it would be too much to ask for a second opinion. If the seller is a friend of a friend, he will understand.

OK, so you're not telling me I'm not completely insane...at least that makes me feel a little better.

Good advice, I'll bring my camera and take some pictures to post...and if the guy wants the deal done too quick, well I've lived without one for years, I'm sure another will come along.

I'm trying to set it up so that my friend will be able to take it home from his frined, then I'll have some time to check it out.

Anybody on this board in Southern Connecticut who might be able to offer a professional opinion? That is, if all this really comes to pass.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve,

I would be happy to check out the rifle for you. You can contact me thru the board. Best be quick because after the 5th I'll be laid up for a bit after getting a new left hip.

Walt B)

Some folks have paid over $9000.00 for a Johnson rifle so no your not insane, and in time the rifle you speak of will be worth many times its purchase price if in original condition....best of luck

Thanks Walt. :D As soon as I'm able to make arrangements, I'll contact you. And thanks to the rest of you guys for sending me in the right direction.

Tylis2, I hope this rifle checks out well for you. I have rifle 8746 and would like to compare it to 8700 if you purchase it. Keep me posted. Good luck & best regards. Tony