Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Junior

1941 Johnson purchase

18 posts in this topic

I just purchased my first 1941 Johnson rifle for $3500. Seller had it since 1969. He still has the purchase receipt. He's getting on in years and has not fired the Johnson for about 25 years. Bore is Great. I also got a johnson bayonet & scabbard with the deal.

Can I please get some opinions on whether or not I did ok with this Johnson? Also what's the letter "M" on the barrel collar indicate?

Thank you

Jr

This link has many pictures on my johnson,,,,,,,,, http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...56381&members=1

148631172.jpg

Looks like you got a nice rifle. If the crack has been repaired, I would leave it alone. If not, you might look for advice on how to repair or have repaired professionally so as not to do further damage.

Thanks guys. I hope to take her out for a shoot some time this week. That crack is more like an iimperfection on the wood. It does not go throught the other side. Perhaps I should still keep the thought of having it checked out. I wonder how they it could be done so that it does not detract from the rifle at all.

Jr

That particular crack seems to be common. I sold one with an almost identical crack in the same place, otherwise quite mint, for $6500 last year. You got a good deal!

Now go out and shoot it... they're generally tackdrivers in that condition...

JR,

You did very well. She appears to be in excellant shape. I would check out the front cross pin. From your pictures I can't tell whether or not the spring steel tang on the cross pin is broken off or when it was last reassembled the front handguard was placed over it. The tang should should fit into the retaining clip. If this tang is indeed broken. I strongly advise to replace it before shooting. Sometimes these pins fit very loose and have a bad habit of falling out at the most inopportune time. It usually ruins the rest of the day.

As for the buttstock I can only speculate why it may have cracked. Is the crack completly thru the left side or just a surface crack? Before you go out with her I might suggest you use a little of loctite 242 (small threadlocker) on all 4 stock screws. This will preclude any further cracking. When you get around to disassembling it look at the op link and mainspring follower (left side) to see if there is any internal damage to the left side. It may have been fired with the op link disengaged from the mainspring follower.

Again nice find I'm sure she'll have a good home.

walt B)

Hey Thanks again for the replys. WOW $6500. These sure sound like big ticket items. Hmmm, I wonder what they will be worth 10 years from now. :)

Now to find a link on how to take her apart and familiarize myself with the parts. The seller had her apart but I don't remember what he showed me at the time.

Any pics on this part? spring steel tang on the cross pin

Jr

I have a VHS video on disassembly, inspection and reassembly of Johnson rifles. $30 postage paid to you. Also have new cross-pins. The front pin should have a small finger exactly like the rear one. The crack can be repaired using super glue. This will penetrate to bottom of crack like penetrating oil. Apply from inside also if you can see crack. Twist stock lightly to open crack and apply, wipe off excess. Overall a super buy.

Yes, the lower item(pin) should have a finger which rotates up and under the retainer. Use a needle nose pliers to remove pin. It must come out before you can remove front forearm. Having the retainer intact is great. Look at the pin behind the magazine and you should see the finger rotated behind the cut in the side of receiver. Front should have same finger. Try not to pull using the small finger, use a small screwdriver and get close to pin under the finger and work it up. If hard to move, loosen the large screw under the stock next to magazine and the one under the safety. This sometimes frees up the pin.

When reinstalling the rear pin, sometimes you have to reach inside magazine and depress the cartridge pusher, (if your gun has a bolt catch installed). Reason; the rear pin goes through the bolt catch and when magazine is empty, the pusher bears against catch and displaces it for good alignment of the holes. Another trick is to loosen the two screws mentioned, install pin and retighten screws. This allows trigger block to shift slightly for pin alignment.

As for the video, I think Joe did a good job on it, and is well worth watching. I hope that when he has time to redo it, it will be on DVD.

Another great investment, now that you are a proud owner, is to get a copy of "the book", 'Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns' by Bruce N Canfield with Robert L Lamoreaux and Edward R Johnson, which was available thru the authors web site, book stores, or web stores such as Amazon.com

http://www.brucecanfield.com/johnson-rifles.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Art, sounds like a good idea. For now I'll start with the tape. Need that up front info.

The super glue worked very well on the crack. Got it from the inside which shows no signs on the outside of a glue repair. Applying the glue from the inside slightly bubbled out from the front as I applied drying time pressure on the wood. Which I quickly wiped. It creeps around to form a good repair.

Now for a front pin.

Does the rear pin have to come out in order to install a new front pin?

Jr.

JR,

The rear cross pin does not have to be removed to replace the front pin. A small sturdy hook pin may work better than needlenose pliers.

walt B)

Walt, Thanks. I did order a front pin and the VHS tape. Can't wait to get them. If I run into any problems I'll sure post again.

Jr. :)

is his butt stock original or an after market. i call my Johnson "The Guppy" because of the magazine and the bulbus front of the butt stock. most original stocks i see look like the bulbus part is laminated. am i wrong

thanks

is his butt stock original or an after market. i call my Johnson "The Guppy" because of the magazine and the bulbus front of the butt stock. most original stocks i see look like the bulbus part is laminated. am i wrong

thanks

Some original stocks are made from 3 pieces of wood (aka laminated), others originals are made from a solid piece of wood. Either can be correct.

Nice gun, great deal.

If you want to get an original stock repaired I would recommend Rick Borecky in Ohio. He does amazing work on old wood. He repaired a Johnson stock for me and it is perfect. He also does Garands, Carbines, and most any other old stock.

-wwiifirearms