Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnSch

7mm Johnson

4 posts in this topic

I know they made the 7mm and there are some out there, my questions are:

1) is it just a Barrel that you change out or are there parts of the rifle as well that are different?

2) Is it a standard 7mm or can it take a 7mm Magnum?

3) Anyone have one?

4) Joe, when you read this, what would it cost for you to make a 7mm Magnum barrel for my gun if it's possible to load with this ammo?

And why? I've hunted with my 7mm Magnum before and it stops elk dead in there tracks. Not to say my 30.06 hasn't done the same, but I like to change things up. Currently even looking at some 300 Mags to try out on dear as well and would happily put a 300 mag barrel on my Johnson if it would feed it, but I know it won't.

No one get upset, I keep my military's safe, locked up and oiled, its the sporters I take out hunting and shooting with. If they get roughed up, I don't care, one day I'll send them to Joe for conversion back to Military anyway.

Joe, Still have not dug out my extra Magaizines to send you, but I have not forgotten.

John

7mm JSARs were made for Chile. Supposedly 900 were produced. The 7mm bbl assemblys were interchangable with the standard 30-06. Indeed, the locking collars were standard 30-06 collars and were so marked. Johnson Automatics apparently procured the 7mm bbls from Mexico to fulfill the Chilean order. Navy Arms imported the Chilean JSARs in the early 80's. Most were well cared for (or unused) and were in superb condition. I have a 7mm bbl assembly and have shot it in my JSARs. It is very pleasant to shoot with light recoil. I don't know if a belted magnum like the 7mm would function in a JSAR.

I cannot make a 7mm magnum barrel as I have no 7mm blanks nor reamers and would not, as it would require a special ballistics study for a recoil spring strong enough. Other changes may be required such as bolt face, extractor, etc. Also cannot make .308 chambers from my barrels as they are already prechambered for .30-06 length case. I tried and it didn't work out.

JohnSch, I have the 7mm barrel (7X57 Mauser) and it works just fine. You simply depress the pin and lower the barrel lever and out pulls the barrel. Just insert the new barrel and you are back in business. As stated, the barrels are brand new and have been pre fitted to the .30-06 collars. Keep in mind that the bolt face for the 7X57 and the .30-06 are exactly the same so nothing needs to be modified further. Keep in mind that the sight adjustments will be different so mark your sights for the same zero before you change the barrels. The barrel will be stamped 7mm near the chamber if that is the caliber of barrel you have. As to modifying the rifle for the heavier calibers, it probably could be done but would require extensive calcuations for action vs reaction on recoil and different springs to check the increased recoil. As I have mentioned in this site before, I know a gunsmith who made a Johnson in .270 and he had a hell of a time getting it to cycle just because of the bullet size and recoil difference. Unless you have a lot of time, money and patience, I would leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Cordially, Alasdair