Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
licorice1207

224 M1 carbines

3 posts in this topic

Does any one know about the ones made by Ed Orenskie? Am looking for infe also I am looking at a Spitfier not sure what to look for, any help is appreacited.

Tony

Tony, start by checking our sister website which displays photos and considerable technical data on the Spitfire projects

http://www.imageseek.com/5.7mm/

Basically, from the '60's, there were 2 "major" firms manufacturing in 5.7mm. Melvin Johnson started it with the MMJ 5/7mm Spitfire Carbine, closely followed by Plainfield Machine Corp (PMC) who was later bought out by Iver Johnson (no relation to Mel).

There were also a variety of "wildcat" versions from various sources such as Johnston Tucker, etc. from that period.

During 2000, a company called I.A.I based in Texas, operated by Larry Horner, produced some quantities in 5.7 before Mr. Horner passed away.

All of the above based their carbines on the basic .30M1 Carbine action.

I'm not very familiar with "Orenskie" as a name but perhaps there are others out there who can provide more input.

The Spitfire concept and projects of Melvin Johnson are described in detail in

JOHNSON RIFLES AND MACHINE GUNS by Bruce Canfield and Robert Lamoreaux, published by Mowbray at 1 800 999 4697.

I hope this info is helpful. Ed Johnson

Thank you , just picked up a Johnson M1941 and a Johnson carbine, I do not have carbine in my hands yet. The 41 is in Windfield stock, metel was untouched not blued and is near mint shppts well to will post S?N soon. Thank you for the info I do know that the neck shoulder between tho Orenski and Johnson are different, will keep you informed.

Tony