Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rrrr

New Johnson owner !

7 posts in this topic

:D Well I did it. After waiting for over 6 years i went out and got one.

Serial number 9601. any information about the gun would be great.

I want to say a personal thanks to Joseph Scott for his help, expertise and parts. He spent most of the afternoon with me going over the gun and getting it back up to spec. Overall the gun is in very good shape. 90% of the original finish and the barrel looks almost new. I'm really looking forward to getting out to the range to try it out.

Thanks for the comments. This was a nice looking gun from an auction. Had Winfield style wood but don't believe it was done by them. The recoil tube was totally floating in the stock. The buffer end flange had been ground off so that they could put the tube inside oversized hole. No key was ever installed. The recoil normally taken by the key was against the plastic buttpad. Front wood did not have cutout for the pull-pin and its retainer, had a short blind pin covered over by wood. If you decide you want a gun with sporter stock, count on the recoil tube being incorrectly installed. The location of the tube and its locating key are very important to proper functioning. Ask if it has been shot recently, whether it cycles properly and is there a return option after test firing. Auctions seem to be a way to sell problem guns.

Well I took the Johnson out to the range today. Initial sight in at 50 yrds took 3 rounds to get it centered up. Then out to 100 yrds another 3 rounds. Shot 3 groups of 3 rounds each at 100 yrds. First was 1.5 inches the other 2 were about 2.5 inches. Had trouble seeing the orange circle at 100 yrds since the rear apeture is smaller than the garand. Next time I'll use black circles instead. The gun shot wonderfully. A little more kick than my national match garand but just a accurate !!! The only problem I had was the bolt would not stay open after the last round. Manually pulling the bolt back worked fine. I will bend the bolt catch up just a little and check it out again!

Had a few admiring looks while at the range. No one had seen a Johnson at the range before let alone see one shot!!!

What a cool GUN !!!!

Thanks again to Joseph Scott !!!! If you need help he's the man!!!

Here's his website to get Johnson spares if you need them. http://jmscottparts.com/

Well I took the Johnson out to the range today. Initial sight in at 50 yrds took 3 rounds to get it centered up. Then out to 100 yrds another 3 rounds. Shot 3 groups of 3 rounds each at 100 yrds. First was 1.5 inches the other 2 were about 2.5 inches. Had trouble seeing the orange circle at 100 yrds since the rear apeture is smaller than the garand. Next time I'll use black circles instead. The gun shot wonderfully. A little more kick than my national match garand but just a accurate !!! The only problem I had was the bolt would not stay open after the last round. Manually pulling the bolt back worked fine. I will bend the bolt catch up just a little and check it out again!

Had a few admiring looks while at the range. No one had seen a Johnson at the range before let alone see one shot!!!

What a cool GUN !!!!

Thanks again to Joseph Scott !!!! If you need help he's the man!!!

Here's his website to get Johnson spares if you need them. http://jmscottparts.com/

Cant resist...

This is my RIFLE, This is my GUN.

This ones for fighting, This ones for Fun..

Good shooting, Johnsons do get a good Head turn at the range...M.J.

Before "bending" anything, chat with Joe Scott first.

Art, it was my advice for him to bend the catch. I have found them to vary slightly and a gentel upward bend on the rear, works just fine. I purchased a fair sized lot of them and found the front fingers varied from the drawing length. Each apparently was hand fitted to function in a gun. Correcting this length would involve welding, grinding, heat treating, but bending the rear accomplishes same goal. Doesn't take much, spread out the bend along length.

Well I took the Johnson out

Cant resist...

This is my RIFLE, This is my GUN.

This ones for fighting, This ones for Fun..

Good shooting, Johnsons do get a good Head turn at the range...M.J.

Yes, they were no doubt happy to also learn maintenance on the Browning M2 Heavy Machine Rifle, the M1 Thompson Submachine Rifle, and the M1919 Light Machine Rifle..... :lol: