Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Extractor problems, hammer springs

1 post in this topic

I have not previously encountered known problems with extractors but may have failed to recognize such. When test firing parts in a gun, it failed to extract, so I switched barrels to a known good one and it also failed to extract. ???? I put customer's bolt assembly in and it worked fine. When I got home, I examined my bolt parts and found the extractor had a crack just behind the claw and was bent away from rim, thereby sliding off case rim. Comparing claw to drawing and under a magnifier, it showed wear on its hook face. Hook face should be smooth and square. Looking at 7 different spares, I found one used one with the same wear. I suspect some of our extraction problems may be due to extractors, not all to chamber condition. This may explain why some guns tear up the case rims. If you have similar problems, look at extractor hook under a magnifier. If I can get time, I will try to devise way to reclaim hook face.

Was test firing trigger and bolt from gun which was doubling, the one with extra strong hammer spring. I could tell that trigger action was quicker and lighter than normal which I think is due to hammer sears wanting to release due to extra pressure. Replaced hammer spring with normal one and fired 25 rounds with no problems and normal trigger feel.