Ridge Runner

Is this small spring part of my JAR?

9 posts in this topic

I was working on my JAR this week and shortly afterwards I found a small, tightly coiled spring near my workbench.

It is proably only a 1/4 long and only a few millimeters wide. Is this a spring that belongs to my JAR?

What are the smallest springs that go to a JAR so I can check?

The smallest springs are: windage knob click plunger, plunger under safety, bolt stop plate plunger, latch release plunger and trigger spring. All are retained and must be disassembled to come out. Sounds about size of bolt stop plate plunger spring. Good luck.

Where does the "bolt stop plate plunger spring" go? I do not have a manual.

Can anyone post a pic?

Ridge Runner,

Just go to Joe Scott's web site, jmscottparts.com, and look at the parts blow up for the Johnson rifle. The bolt stop plate is part number 3x and the plunger is on the right side of it. On your rifle it is located at the top-rear of the receiver. You have to push the plunger and lift the stop plate to remove the bolt assy. from the rifle. I think it is pretty unlikely that you extra spring came from this part. I hope that I've explained this clearly enough. If you already knew this and I misunderstood your question then I apologize

Good luck,

Mike

Ridge Runner,

Just go to Joe Scott's web site, jmscottparts.com, and look at the parts blow up for the Johnson rifle. The bolt stop plate is part number 3x and the plunger is on the right side of it. On your rifle it is located at the top-rear of the receiver. You have to push the plunger and lift the stop plate to remove the bolt assy. from the rifle. I think it is pretty unlikely that you extra spring came from this part. I hope that I've explained this clearly enough. If you already knew this and I misunderstood your question then I apologize

Good luck,

Mike

Thank you for the visual....however that is not it. Damn this is frustrating. It may be a part to something else.

I took my JAR apart again and I can not see where this spring would fit. It is just OVER 1/4 of an inch long.

The rifle seems to function well without it and I am hesitant to shoot it to find out. The bolt seems to be complete and intact.

Ridge, 10:30 am

I can only think of one tightly wound spring on the JR. But none with a 1/4 inch length as you described. I've never taken the bolt stop plate plunger apart nor the detent ball springs of the rear sight adjustment knob or the mainspring buffer tube assembly so I know whether or not these springs are finely wound (I would not think so.) Never found a reason to disassemble them. The only tightly wound I can think of is the main spring for the rotary magazine. Sometimes the loading door paddle spring steel has been substituted for a wound spring. Most of the removable springs on the JR are course wound with the exception of the magazine main spring. Field stripping for usually does not require the total disassembly of every component of the rifle. Next time should you feel the need to do this I suggest laying out the assemblies in the order you disassemble, clean, then reassemble. Doing this keeps left over parts (if any) to an absolute minimum.

I think the spring you described may have come from something else and not from the JR.

walt

Ridge, 10:30 am

I can only think of one tightly wound spring on the JR. But none with a 1/4 inch length as you described. I've never taken the bolt stop plate plunger apart nor the detent ball springs of the rear sight adjustment knob or the mainspring buffer tube assembly so I know whether or not these springs are finely wound (I would not think so.) Never found a reason to disassemble them. The only tightly wound I can think of is the main spring for the rotary magazine. Sometimes the loading door paddle spring steel has been substituted for a wound spring. Most of the removable springs on the JR are course wound with the exception of the magazine main spring. Field stripping for usually does not require the total disassembly of every component of the rifle. Next time should you feel the need to do this I suggest laying out the assemblies in the order you disassemble, clean, then reassemble. Doing this keeps left over parts (if any) to an absolute minimum.

I think the spring you described may have come from something else and not from the JR.

walt

Thanks Walt. I appreciate the detailed answer.

A thank you to all of you.