Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Black Tom

Import stamp on a JSAR

7 posts in this topic

I recently acquired JSAR s/n 3570. It was made in Dec. 1941 for the N.P.C.

It has a very small & very old import stamp on the left side of the radiator, just above the forearm. The space is about 3/4" in length and probably held 5-6 letters at one time, each about 1/16" in height. Now I can only make out two letters, a "P" or a "T"--not sure which--and a "A", the rest are gone.

The rifle is all Johnson, not a Winfield, and it didn't come from Chile.

Does anyone know who the importer was, and where this rifle may have been imported from?

Everything else being equal, how much does this stamp effect the value?

Thanks, B.T.

Are the T (or P) and A the first two letters? Or where do they fit into the 5-6 letter string?

Could it be some previous owners name?

I will try to post a pic, but my computer skills are so poor it may never work.

As far as the sequence of letters; the "T' is the first letter and the "A" is the last.

I'm sure it's an import stamp and not a person's name.

I have looked at it with a magnifying glass and in bright sunlight and cannot make it out.

Thanks, B.T.

Five years ago, I purchased a Johnson M-41 receiver, that I built into a shooter.

On the left, far rear of the receiver, it is stamped IA CO, approx. 1/16" high.

On the right, far rear of the receiver, (near the CRANSTON ARMS CO stamp, inside the triangle) it is stamped SACCA, approx. 1/16" high.

In 2004 a similar question was posed about these markings. It was answered by nralifer, a poster on this forum. He said-The importer was Import Arms Co. aka Old Sacremento Armory. The stampings are either IA CO SAC CA OR IAC SAC CA. To this the webmaster added that "This is/was Doc Ross' company if I'm not mistaken.

Prior to that, I had questioned John Darling about these markings, & although I cannot quickly find my correspondence with him about this, I am fairly positive his answer was the same as the aforementioned. I believe what you think is a T is really an I & if it was complete would be IA CO. :rolleyes:

I have had 2 receivers with those markings and both came from Doc Ross.

What I thought was a "T" could be an "I" and the last letter is an "A", so what i am seeing may be "IA CO----CA".

The letters are about 1/16" in height but they are not at the rear of the receiver, they are on the left side of the radiator, just fwd. of the mag and just above the forearm wood. There is nothing on the other side except the Cranston Arms logo and the small star just above the logo.

Everything else being equal, what effect does this import mark have on the value?

Thanks for everyone's help.

B.T.