Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alasdair MacDonald

Johnson For Sale

14 posts in this topic

I was at the Cow Palace Gun show over the past weekend and saw one Mil Tec going for $6000.00 and a second that was intriguing. The seller didn't want his info on this site but does want to sell these items. The military Johnson serial #8838 was the most pristine one I have yet seen. The seller has two the second is not as good. He said they were from the former Air Force Museum at Beal Air Force Base and that he has the bayos also. Asking price (SIT DOWN NOW) $10,000 This is for only those advanced collectors with this type of money. Leave a post if interested and I will give individuals the contact information. Seller is in California.

Alasdair: The one you saw at the Cow Palace for $10k--was that "SOG" that had it for sale and was it a "B" block rifle?

If so, he had it at Ventura, CA priced at $9,200 without the bayonet. The Ventura show was crowded and they had a big "do not handle" sign but said it came from a museum. I didn't get a good look at it but from what I saw it looked too nice. The Cranston Arms triangle and receiver lettering was rather faint and the wood had a lot of figure in it, more than I would have expected in a military rifle.

If it's the same one, it appreciated pretty good in two weeks. At that rate it will be worth more than the Hope Diamond in a couple of years.

B.T.

Hi all! New guy here.

Just had to add, I was at the Costa Mesa Gunshow down here in Southern California over the weekend. Saw two Johnson SAR for sale at two different vendors. One looked to have a cut barrel and had new park, looked like it was in very good condition...asking price was $6000. The other Johnson looked refinished as well and was in excellent condition...asking price, $12,000!!! :huh:

Welcome New Guy;

I have a feeling that you, Alasdair and me were all looking at the SAME high priced gun. SFO, Ventura and Costa Mesa, all within 30 days and all on the W. Coast.

Did the vendor, who had the $12K rifle, have a lot of tables all with military rifles, mostly 1903A3's, M-1 Garands & M-1 carbines as well as lots of parts?

B.T.

Welcome New Guy;

I have a feeling that you, Alasdair and me were all looking at the SAME high priced gun. SFO, Ventura and Costa Mesa, all within 30 days and all on the W. Coast.

Did the vendor, who had the $12K rifle, have a lot of tables all with military rifles, mostly 1903A3's, M-1 Garands & M-1 carbines as well as lots of parts?

B.T.

Yah that sounds like the same guy. I see him at the shows all the time, but that was the first time I saw him with a Johnson. All his rifles are near double regular price. Not sure why his prices are so high, he doesn't seem to be popular enough to charge so much.

Black Tom, yes it was SOG but the rifle had no letter prefix. He is always a little pricey. When I first made contact with a lady, she told me $9,000.00 and referred me to him who said it was $10,000.00 Kind of like you wear a size 9 that a 10 feels so good that you buy an eleven. Cordially, Alasdair

I heard his story also, about it being from an army base museum and he got it from the curator who had retired and was given some stuff or something like that.

This guy has some garands with stocks so humped its just a joke. Caveat emptor.

Another new member here. I was wondering if any parts on the Johnson rifle should match serial numbers (barrel, bolt, receiver etc) I was told no but would like more info if you can provide it.

Thanks guys,

Rob

He was setting up at the Ventura show this afternoon, so I had to go and get the rundown.

I was told the following today. Price today was $11,500 and it came from the Beale Air Force Museum in Nevada. "It is a no letter prefix serialed gun, so it is definitely a Marine Corp or FBI gun".

Not sure where he received that information from, but that I had not heard that before.

I am never surprised at what I hear anymore. It is fun just to listen to the tales you hear at the gun shows that come from both sides of the tables.

Yep, I saw it at the Ventura show also and heard the same story about the USMC/ FBI. Only difference was he quoted a price of $11k just before the show opened. Went up by $500 by the time Brian saw it.

Brian, did it look refinished to you? The Cranston Arms logo was almost gone.

Do you live in Ventura Co.? I'm in the Thousand Oaks area.

B.T.

I don't even look at his stuff anymore. No prices on anything and "do not touch" signs" all over everything. Prices are out of this world and his parts are so overpriced I am surprised that he sells anything.

I was in Simi Valley and just moved to Pasadena a few months ago. We usually have a table in the second building. We are just two aisles in the second building as you enter from the first building. Look us up next show.

My goodness, some folks just cant let the truth stand in the way of the story, especially where $$$ is involved... Maybe I should let him take a look at one of mine and see what kind of story he would come up with as a buyer rather than

seller, that would be the "tell" on his schtick.