Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Peden

Unusual JSAR Bayonet

6 posts in this topic

Interesting item on Ebay, described as

ORIGINAL WW2 JOHNSON RIFLE BAYONET & SCABBARD

This is an Johnson semi automatic rifle bayonet that has been modified by adding a British No 9 Mk1 blade . Possibly experimental as I have two of the same (one I am keeping). The blade still has traces of old cosmoline. A very unusual bayonet one of two that I know of!

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNUSUAL-MODIFIED-JOHNS...1QQcmdZViewItem

britjohnson2.jpg

Jim i saw that as well, there is another ebay seller with a copy of a johnson arms manual...it has a jsar on the cover with the same bayonet fitted.

I believe that the introduction of the No.9 bayonet(1945) was well after the Johnson developement or production. Any bayonet for a Johnson with a No9 blade is IMHO made by others.

I saw that (or a similar bayonet) at Doc Ross's a couple of years ago. I examined it and it was obviously made up by grafting a JSAR bayonet attachment to a #9 blade. According to him, both JSARs and LMGs were extensively modified by various arms dealers after the war and offered in a variety of calibers and having odd markings, Doc recently sold out a large stock of parts, etc. which have appeared on auctions. I suspect this was his. It's interesting how many if not most of the oddly marked and configured Johnsons seem to come from Doc.