Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maximillian

Barrel twist question

4 posts in this topic

Background: I recently tried to buy a Ruger Mini-14. While doing my research on this, I found out that barrel twist has a profound effect on what weight projectile will

shoot straightest. The new Mini's have a 1:9 barrel twist and the heaviest bullet that will shoot well is about 62 grains. A heavier slug will not spin as well and tend to wander.

Question: What is the barrel twist of the Johnson? Mine was re-barreled with an M1 Garand barrel. Is the twist the same? I have seen bullet weights from 125-220 grains. What is the heaviest projectile that will shoot well in these barrels?

I have this weird thought about going hunting.

Matt Milliron

Easy way to check barrel twist

Using a coated cleaning rod with a brush/patch combination so the brush gets a good grip on the lands/grooves....run brush/patch all the way down barrel....then at the point where the muzzle is, wrap a piece of masking tape around the rod so that it is flush with the muzzle and mark the top of the tape with a mark so it aligns with the sight....then, slowly pull the rod out until the mark does one full revolution and is again aligned with the sight....then measure that distance, from the tape to the muzzle...it will give you the length of one revolution or twist such as 1:11

Easy way to check barrel twist

Using a coated cleaning rod with a brush/patch combination so the brush gets a good grip on the lands/grooves....run brush/patch all the way down barrel....then at the point where the muzzle is, wrap a piece of masking tape around the rod so that it is flush with the muzzle and mark the top of the tape with a mark so it aligns with the sight....then, slowly pull the rod out until the mark does one full revolution and is again aligned with the sight....then measure that distance, from the tape to the muzzle...it will give you the length of one revolution or twist such as 1:11

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Matt Milliron

The Johnson barrels have 1 in 10" twist, exactly the same as the M1 Garands. This twist will shoot almost any .30-06 well. If you note on the rear sight elevator, it is marked M2 on one side. This was for the standard M2 military load developed in the 1930's. The early M1 cartridge was hotter and higher pressure. Most M1 cartridges were used up as machine gun ammo. I suspect that the buffer in the recoil tube was to accommodate any extra recoil in case M1 ammo was used. As a bore gets smaller, the bullet gets longer as weight increases, and they are more sensitve to twist

I have seen many M1 barrels used in Johnson's. You can tell because a portion of the hand guard clip groove remains visible near the rear collar.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Matt Milliron