Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gonzo

Which repro sling to buy?

8 posts in this topic

Well, I doubt I can afford any of the original +$100 slings selling on eBay and everywhere else. Plus there are not that many trade shows down here in San Diego. So I opt to just buy a repro leather sling. Im looking at the Turner sling right now. Which one should I get? They have a NM 1907 sling in different sizes(50 and 54). Also which color is most original?..black or tan? Turner also offers a standard Military 1907 sling(no size optional). Which is the best one for the Johnson? Please let me know. Thank you! :)

Gonzo- I would like to offer another alternative that only cost $5.00. In my opinion, it is somewhat close to the original factory (Dutch pattern) sling, as pictured on page 95 of Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns, by Bruce N. Canfield et al. I was pawing thru a dealers sling box @ a gun show, that was full of what I believe, were old Mauser rifle slings. These slings are 1 inch wide, & 40 to 41 inches long. The rear of the sling has 5 slits for adjustment with a brass button(same as the M41 Johnson Dutch pattern). The front of the sling has 2 slits (also same as M41 Johnson Dutch pattern)-but is secured with a brass button. If a person wanted, you could substitute this button @ the front, for a leather thong(same as the M41 Johnson-Dutch pattern). What I like about this sling (in addition to the similarites) is that it has that, been there-done that look, same as the Johnson it is mounted on. In my opinion it sure looks better, than a newly manufactured, leather sling.

Tom:

Sorry, I guess it's clear to some, but not to me - sounds intriguing! I guess step #1 is procure a Mauser sling somewhere and then swap the front button for something? I just got an original OD web sling as I didn't want to get a repro leather, but this sounds like it really looks great! Can you elaborate or show a pic?

Rgds,

John D.

Hi Tom, Thanks for the reply. Yes please give us more info. I do not have the book you mentioned. Im one of those members who is not to savvy on correctness of this rifle. Thanks! :)

Sorry that I did not get back sooner. I would first like to re-emphasize my statement about buying the Canfield book. I did give every one a bum steer on thinking my sling was from a Mauser. I have located what I think is a match to what I found. At the following website, under slings from Switzerland-click the SWISS 1889 SLING.

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/

The picture quality leaves something to be desired, but it appears to be the same sling. I cannot tell how many slits it has for adjustments. It will give you an idea about how the brass studs are utilized.

If your next question is like mine, which is, how common is this sling. I found similar ones on e-Bay.

It is Item # 140343438694.

They are advertised as for Swiss Schmidt Rubin 1896 96/11 1911. It includes the sling & muzzle cap for $13.95 out of Denver, CO. He indicates he has eight(8) for sale.

Again I am not positive these slings are the same as mine, but it sure looks like it.

Another point of interest I will throw out, about our discussion concerning the M41 Johnson Dutch pattern sling. About 2002 or thereabouts, there was a similar thread on the Johnson website about this sling. One of the contributing members contacted, I think BOYDS, about making & selling a repro Dutch pattern sling. BOYDS said they would do it, if some one would furnish them an original, that they could copy. I would guess no one came forward with an original to copy, because the discussion died out.

I want to again make the disclaimer, that this sling is similar, in many ways to the Dutch pattern sling, at a much lesser price than an original, if a person could even find one for sale. It works & functions perfectly on the Johnson it is mounted on. At the next large Tulsa show, I am heading back to that sling box for a couple more- if still available.

There is a web site picture having to do with the Dutch East Indies troops which shows very clearly Johnson's with both the US 1907 sling and the Dutch slings. I lost the website but I think someone can find it. The is an excellent sling manufactor right there in San Diego, name starts with "K" something. They sell both natural and brown slings for military spec use. Generally I have a hard time believing the Dutch would ship leather slings to US when Europe was at war and we had zillions of cattle for leather. Personally, I have never seen the "Dutch sling". Perhaps they were taken off before the rifles were auctioned off to Winfield, who knows?

There is a web site picture having to do with the Dutch East Indies troops which shows very clearly Johnson's with both the US 1907 sling and the Dutch slings. I lost the website but I think someone can find it. The is an excellent sling manufactor right there in San Diego, name starts with "K" something. They sell both natural and brown slings for military spec use. Generally I have a hard time believing the Dutch would ship leather slings to US when Europe was at war and we had zillions of cattle for leather. Personally, I have never seen the "Dutch sling". Perhaps they were taken off before the rifles were auctioned off to Winfield, who knows?

Joe:

I'm pretty sure this is the one you mean -- still works: http://www.network54.com/Forum/330333/mess...8898641/Surinam

John D.

Here is another site that has a few pictures showing a sling attached.

http://www.littlegun.be

Scroll down through the menu until you find Johnson Automatic inc.