Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pirate69

Johnson Bolt Action

8 posts in this topic

I have a bolt action rifle that I am told was made by Mel Johnson. It is a heavy barrel 30-40 Krag. The barrel is stamped JohnsonAutomatics. Nice set of Redfield peek sights and a very rich blue job. Understand Mel operated a custom gunsmithing business after he retired and made custom rifles. Any idea on how many he made and any other history on these rifles? Oh, and it will shoot!!

Johnson automatics had alot of custom services offered after the war. I have a copy of a catalog they put out showing the custom work offered and a price list. One of the services offered is the overhaul and reconditioning service. This might be where yours falls in. I know the other guys will also have more info. Goodluck

At this point, it is hard to tell whether the bolt action rifle was newly built (or assembled) or was a custom re-build of a customer's gun. And the situation is further complicated by the fact that some of Dad's employees established (with permission) an operation in Hope Valley, RI which they named "Johnson Automatics ASSOCIATES" and was operated by Kenneth Kemp and gunsmith Ike Isaacs, among others. This operation was also still in business when I used them during the mid '60's to assemble the 5.7mm Spitfire Carbines.

If you have photos and even serial numbers you can post on this site, we may be able to help with the history. The style of the gun stock would also be helpful. Ed J

At this point, it is hard to tell whether the bolt action rifle was newly built (or assembled) or was a custom re-build of a customer's gun. And the situation is further complicated by the fact that some of Dad's employees established (with permission) an operation in Hope Valley, RI which they named "Johnson Automatics ASSOCIATES" and was operated by Kenneth Kemp and gunsmith Ike Isaacs, among others. This operation was also still in business when I used them during the mid '60's to assemble the 5.7mm Spitfire Carbines.

If you have photos and even serial numbers you can post on this site, we may be able to help with the history. The style of the gun stock would also be helpful. Ed J

I will pull it out of the safe and take some photos.

Very nice photos. It would appear that this would have been a conversion of a Springfield Armory 30/40 Krag action with Springfield rear sight plus new custom stock with pad plus tapered barrel....I think you said 30:06?.....and blued components with new front sight...maybe Lyman?

It would have probably been a custoer's rifle conversion, done by my Dad's factory and not the subsequent "associates" group. Not sure of value but it would be pretty rare....call it perhaps a "one of a kind."

Ed J

Not sure of the manufacture of the front sight but the rear sight is Redfield. It is chambered for 30-40 Krag. And, as I said before, she is a shooter. She is impressive with handloads. I am extremely proud to own a real Johnson.