putzpop

part description

19 posts in this topic

Bolt catch. Available from Joe Scott if it's missing. basically a machined forging that fits into the trigger frame. It has a long tang on one end with a v notch that engages into a recess on the bolt underside. The rest of the body is 'hollow' which allows it to fit over the hammer and then protrudes over and down to where another small outward bend is placed. This small end piece then impinges onto the mag follower and forces the v notch upwards catching the bolt. preventing it's forward movement. This is a very basic description, so don't take it as gospel. Just to give you an idea.

quite a thorough description; thank you.

a) how do i contact joe scott

B) is this a part i can install myself ?

c) is there a drawing, photo, or schematic available ?

d) excellent site and thanks again..

john

i just noticed your posting time : 1:21 am ? sleepless in seattle ?

See Sgt Hollywood post of 3/12/07 and look at the part that is the trigger group shot from above view. The bolt catch lies on the top and to the right hand side.

John

excuse my unfamiliarity, but is this the photo ?

M1941039.jpg

Yes it is. The fork-shaped forging starting center with a "V"-notch in the forging top and extending to the right on either side of the hammer. It sits on top and snaps lightly into place, i.e. user-installed easily after exposing the trigger group from above. Where are you located - maybe someone nearby.

John

so far so good

i am on long island, any lead would be appreciated.

where might i locate that missing part and will the rifle function without it meantime ?

does it pay to research my gun's numbers/history etc ?

thanks once again.

j

Joe Scott has them, No it won't affect the functioning except the bolt will not stay in the open position after the last round is discharged.

Only no-prefix serial numbers can be traced at this moment. A and B series are not available.

It does'nt "necesesarily" pay to research your guns numbers and history, however if all the numbers on your gun matched the original factory records (doubtful) I believe that could positively affect the value of the gun. And of course provinance can greatly affect value, but is very difficult to obtain reliable and documented history on a specific JSAR.

Also, your Johnson would have to be in the first batch (no letter prefix in the serial number) to be able to research the factory parts numbers.

It is definitely safe to fire the Johnson without the bolt hold-open. Many were purposely removed and some may have just broken.

thanks to all above.

at present, i am so new to the gun that i don't yet know a from b.

researching was simply a passing thought -- my intention is to enjoy firing it at our nearby range after the spring thaw allows.

in other words, i need to determine if either the bolt catch is not there at all or is in there -- broken ? it it a daunting operation to disassemble to the point of replacing the bolt catch ?

If memory serves me correctly, the device was not originally designed for the JSAR, but was added after the fact. Forget right now who prompted it being added, but believe answer can be found in "the book". I suppose if one wanted I could look it up and report back. The rifle will function with or without the device; without, the bolt will not remain open after the last round; with, it will remain open.

If memory serves me correctly, the device was not originally designed for the JSAR, but was added after the fact. Forget right now who prompted it being added, but believe answer can be found in "the book". I suppose if one wanted I could look it up and report back. The rifle will function with or without the device; without, the bolt will not remain open after the last round; with, it will remain open.

i appreciate your offer to look up the info, but i feel set for the moment, except maybe the consideration of disassembly down to the trigger group.

The bolt catch is basically a drop-in item. You have to remember to hold the magazine door open to insure the small finger goes in front of the cartridge pusher and not behind it when you are installing the lower to upper. The small knob in the center of the operating handle pulls up so the lower pin comes out of the extractor hole to slide forward and out of the bolt.

Procedure to fit is EASY. Remove stock from receiver. Click bolt catch into recess and reassemble stock group to receiver. Time taken 4 minutes.

To remove stock from receiver look in disassembly instructions on the main part of the site.

Procedure to fit is EASY. Remove stock from receiver. Click bolt catch into recess and reassemble stock group to receiver. Time taken 4 minutes.

To remove stock from receiver look in disassembly instructions on the main part of the site.

my thanks to you and everyone for the guidance

The bolt hold open device usage is described on page 95 paragraph 3 in the book "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" by Canfield and Lamoreaux. It was not my father's idea to install them on the 1941 JSARs. We surmise that the NPC requested them. I also believe that the Garand rifle bolt was held open after the last round. Perhaps this influenced the folks making final decisions.

As a point of interest, the 1941 Johnson Light Machine Gun was designed to have the bolt stay open after full auto fire. This was due to the heat buildup in the chamber after such usage. If a live round were to remain in the chamber, it could possibly heat up to the point where it would actually self-ignite (or "cook off")and discharge accidently after a few seconds. If the LMG was set to "semi-auto" then the bolt would remain closed after each shot. Presumably, in semi auto usage, the chamber would never heat up to the point where a "cook off" would occur.

Having fired both the '41JSAR and '41JLMG years ago, my recollection is that, with the LMG set on semi-auto, my first (and subsequent) rounds were steadier and more accurate then when firing in the full auto setting. The reason for this had to do with the position of the bolt. When I pulled the trigger in semi auto, the bolt was already closed, making the gun steadier. In full auto, the bolt was open and the trigger squeeze released the bolt, loaded the round from the magazine to the chamber and THEN fired the cartrige.

So....if you go without the bolt catch.....you are still OK....unless you are going to fire so many rounds that you might heat up the chamber....and drastically reduce the size of your wallet when you buy more ammo! :lol:

The bolt hold open device usage is described on page 95 paragraph 3 in the book "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" by Canfield and Lamoreaux. It was not my father's idea to install them on the 1941 JSARs. We surmise that the NPC requested them. I also believe that the Garand rifle bolt was held open after the last round. Perhaps this influenced the folks making final decisions.

As a point of interest, the 1941 Johnson Light Machine Gun was designed to have the bolt stay open after full auto fire. This was due to the heat buildup in the chamber after such usage. If a live round were to remain in the chamber, it could possibly heat up to the point where it would actually self-ignite (or "cook off")and discharge accidently after a few seconds. If the LMG was set to "semi-auto" then the bolt would remain closed after each shot. Presumably, in semi auto usage, the chamber would never heat up to the point where a "cook off" would occur.

Having fired both the '41JSAR and '41JLMG years ago, my recollection is that, with the LMG set on semi-auto, my first (and subsequent) rounds were steadier and more accurate then when firing in the full auto setting. The reason for this had to do with the position of the bolt. When I pulled the trigger in semi auto, the bolt was already closed, making the gun steadier. In full auto, the bolt was open and the trigger squeeze released the bolt, loaded the round from the magazine to the chamber and THEN fired the cartrige.

So....if you go without the bolt catch.....you are still OK....unless you are going to fire so many rounds that you might heat up the chamber....and drastically reduce the size of your wallet when you buy more ammo! :lol:

ed,

thanks for your input; i am now much more informed, courtesy of you and the johnson bretheren.

i will proceed well guided.