Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tsmgguy

M1941 Ammo selection

4 posts in this topic

Haven't been on the boards with any frequency for quite some time. I read with interest the post by one JAR owner with all kinds of rifle issues, including heavily dented cases and cases flung into the next county. He was using commercially loaded ammunition.

I lucked into many wooden cases of Danish M2 ball ammuntion, all dating from the early 1960s. I've used this exclusively in my JAR, understanding that this (M2) is the ammunition for which the rifle was desiogned. Function has always been flawless, and the rifle throws the cases, undamaged, into a neat pile just a few feet from my right. I've used nothing else, other than the occasional odd lot of USGI ball M2 ammo.

Is ammunition selection/loading critical on these rifles?

Dented and far flung cases are due to the main spring taken a set. They should be 12" long and will cycle almost any .30-06 ammo. New main springs are $20. They are removed out the rear under the butt plate and buffer screw assembly.

Haven't been on the boards with any frequency for quite some time. I read with interest the post by one JAR owner with all kinds of rifle issues, including heavily dented cases and cases flung into the next county. He was using commercially loaded ammunition.

I lucked into many wooden cases of Danish M2 ball ammuntion, all dating from the early 1960s. I've used this exclusively in my JAR, understanding that this (M2) is the ammunition for which the rifle was desiogned. Function has always been flawless, and the rifle throws the cases, undamaged, into a neat pile just a few feet from my right. I've used nothing else, other than the occasional odd lot of USGI ball M2 ammo.

Is ammunition selection/loading critical on these rifles?

Being a recoil operated rifle I would stick with any 30/06 loaded with a 150 grain bullet. Powder should not really matter IMHO.

Hey All: At one point i mistakenly fired some 180 grain hunting ammo. After the rifle smacked the s*** out of me , i checked the ammo and realized it was probably too powerful. The ejector dented the head of the case. I decided not to do that any more as a broken ejector is hard to find. I also find after this situation that 150 grain works best. RYCHE