M48TANKER

Recoil tube position

7 posts in this topic

I would like to know the correct postition of the recoil tube assembly in relation to the rear of the receiver. I'm going to attach a photo of the distance I'm wondering about. My "new" rifle has the recoil tube positioned about 1/4" further forward than the replacement stock I might put on it. The stock on the gun now has a cheekpiece and rubber buttpad. I'm wanting to put the other stock I acquired with the steel buttplate and no cheekpiece on it. But I may need to repostion the recoil tube since it's farther back in the stock, and that would exacerbate the problem of my 11&5/8" mainspring. I'll order a new mainspring anyway, but I want the newly acquired stock to be set up correctly. Can some of you post the measurement that I am referencing in the picture? The picture below is the replacement stock where the distance is approx. 2". My rifle with the sporter/cheekpiece stock has a distance of about 1&5/8". I know this affects bolt recoil function. What is the proper measurement? Also the strength of the recoil spring will make a difference and my present spring is weak, 11&5/8" instead of 12". Thanks, TANKER

distance_on_new.JPG

Replacement stock:

Bottom_of_new_buttstock.JPG

Thanks Mr. Scott, The newly acquired stock, pictured in the post above, has a plugged hole exactly 8" from where the keyhole over the trigger guard should be(but is not installed). So, I'll go ahead and locate and drill the hole for that main recoil key. This seems to show that the stock I got on the rifle has the small key hole mis-located at 7&5/8 from the main key hole. This is what is causing my measurement from the top end of the buffer tube....to the back of the receiver...to be shorter on the stock installed on the rifle @ about 1&5/8" instead of the 2" shown in the picture in the post above. The only variable that concerns me is that the buffer tube in the newly acquired stock may have somehow slipped backward and is not being retained by the small key but is bearing against the buttplate instead. So, I'm still confused about which measurement for the recoil tube is correct, or at least close to anyone else's measured distance. Anyone....What is the measurement from your buffer/recoil tube, from the top edge of the tube...to the rear of the receiver or the back edge of the action cutout inletted in the stock, as shown in my picture? Thanks, TANKER

I think I can answer my own question, now that I have four rifles and five stocks to compare. It seems that the average distance from the upper tip of the recoil tube to the rear edge of the receiver is approximately 2&1/8 inches. So I'd say the the Deluxe Sporter stock with the tube at 1&5/8 inches must be a little too close to the action. Just an observation from what I've seen so far. M48TANKER

I think I can answer my own question, now that I have four rifles and five stocks to compare. It seems that the average distance from the upper tip of the recoil tube to the rear edge of the receiver is approximately 2&1/8 inches. So I'd say the the Deluxe Sporter stock with the tube at 1&5/8 inches must be a little too close to the action. Just an observation from what I've seen so far. M48TANKER

Any chance you have a #2 GI stock? Any chance you need a #5?

Any chance you have a #2 GI stock? Any chance you need a #5?

I'm too new to know the difference in a #2 stock and a #5 stock. :unsure: However I could use another military type stock and I can trade a Winfield Deluxe Sporter stock. Can you show me what these look like? I may have what you want, and you may have what I want. Thanks, M48TANKER....."michaeleroper@comcast.net"

I have no idea what a #5 stock is! In the no prefix JSAR logs which note the original part numbers and production and transfer dates, some stocks are listed as #2. This refers to a #2 stamped in the recess for the screw which attaches the front of the butt stock to the sear block assembly. The logs do not mention any other # for the stock. It lists #2 or nothing. On the face of original stocks which butt up against the rear of the magazine there is almost always a number and a letter stamped. The area often has to be cleaned with a toothbrush and solvent to make them appear and there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the combinations. I have seen at least 8 different ones.