Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryche_me

lmg barrel

4 posts in this topic

Hey that barrel that went for the ungodly price on gun broker recently, the center guide looked to be a different size than a standard rifle barrel. Is this normal? i had figured that the guides were the same size as the rifle barrels. Am i wrong? This would be good info for the future. If its incorrect why would someone do this? Any info is helpful Thanks RYCHE

The lack of front sight and bayonet lug (or LMG sight) was not the only problem I saw. As you noted, the guide collar looked different than the standard guide collar (the front was wider and shiny) and the bbl finish to the rear of the collar was missing. LMG and JSAR bbls are identical except for the sight and lug. It just did not look right. Also note that the locking collar finish did not look even close to the bbl finish. Even so, it was worth gambling $300 on it...no more. An original JSAR bbl with decent bore will bring $700 and up.

>The lack of front sight and bayonet lug (or LMG sight) was not the only problem I saw. As you noted, the guide collar looked different than the standard guide collar (the front was wider and shiny) and the bbl finish to the rear of the collar was missing. LMG and JSAR bbls are identical except for the sight and lug. It just did not look right. Also note that the locking collar finish did not look even close to the bbl finish. Even so, it was worth gambling $300 on it...no more. An original JSAR bbl with decent bore will bring $700 and up.<

Do you have any pics of the barrel? A friend recently acquired a '45 Johnson barfel, marked 45 only, which has a very square blocky center lug, not like the '41s or '44s. There are '41s and '44s in private hands, but I don't know of any '45s in pirvate hands. Anyway, if someone has a pic of the barrel that sold on GB, I'd like to see it.

Bob Naess

Black River Militaria CII

The barrel centre bushing (and other LMG parts) on a 1941 LMG should be marked "L" for LMG. This is after the Ordnance Department reliability trials, where certain LMG only recommendations were made.

I can supply a photo of said bushing if needed.