McD

Where do I find one?

14 posts in this topic

I'm new to Johnsons;so, any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of adding a 1941Johnson to the collection. I've checked GB; but, I am not excited about buying without actually seeing it in person. I've bought from GB before but nothing in this price range. Any place that would actually have a number of these I could handle. Likewise, how are the MilTech ones.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

I hope you can find one. I don't know of any dealers anywhere that have any. You don't even see many on the online auctions. Most milsurp collectors haven't even seen one. They're rare. I understand you wanting to look over one though. I don't know about the Miltech rifles. They don't have the price listed. Its probably scary.

Mil-tech is still refurbishing 1941 Johnsons. I called about six weeks ago and talked to them about it. At that time they said that they did the restorations in "batches" and they only had two more guns available, yet to be spoken for, until the next "batch" would be done, sometime in October, I think. I don't recall the price right now but I think it was in the mid $6000.00 price range...but don't quote me on that. Call them and they'll explain all about it. I happened to buy a Mil-tech Johnson about two weeks ago from an individual who purchased it a long time ago. It's 100% perfect with NO blemishes anywhere. It came with a bunch of paperwork, a repro manual, a new 1907 pattern sling, a velvet feeling gun case inside a big wooden crate especially made for the gun. I think it was supposed to have a cleaning kit with it but I didn't get that....probably $10.00 at a gunshow. I've already got a 30 caliber cleaning kit from my collection of 1919A4s, so I'm not needing another cleaning kit anyway. I love the rifle. Since I believe that most Johnsons, not all, but most have been refurbished by Winfield or someone...I don't think it being a Mil-tech hurts it any. Of course, I've already completely disassembled it and cleaned it to my specifications, as it was bone dry and had not been shot since leaving Mil-tech. I inspected every aspect of the rifle and all parts look like new and are in 100% condition. There is no way to improve on it. Except of course if it could be documented to have been used by the US Marines, but it has not. I have heard some people bad-mouth Mil-tech for some reason, but I think it was just sour grapes, or maybe just because they really wanted one but couldn't afford it. M48TANKER

Genuine or replacement barrel, genuine or replacement stock?

Usually the only genuine parts on these are the metal work (apart from the barrels).

I have one for sale, it is in military pattern and not rebuilt pm me for photos if you are interisted, shoots well and groups very well, very good condition,

I also have mine for sale. Been divesting myself of a lot of my collection of US military, and the Johnson is on my For Sale list.

PM me if interested. Where are you located? I'm in NW Ohio.

Daryll

I'm new to Johnsons;so, any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of adding a 1941Johnson to the collection. I've checked GB; but, I am not excited about buying without actually seeing it in person. I've bought from GB before but nothing in this price range. Any place that would actually have a number of these I could handle. Likewise, how are the MilTech ones.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

I think Joseph Scott still has 4 or 5 for sale in the $4500-$7500 range..

Mil-tech is still refurbishing 1941 Johnsons. I called about six weeks ago and talked to them about it. At that time they said that they did the restorations in "batches" and they only had two more guns available, yet to be spoken for, until the next "batch" would be done, sometime in October, I think. I don't recall the price right now but I think it was in the mid $6000.00 price range...but don't quote me on that. Call them and they'll explain all about it. I happened to buy a Mil-tech Johnson about two weeks ago from an individual who purchased it a long time ago. It's 100% perfect with NO blemishes anywhere. It came with a bunch of paperwork, a repro manual, a new 1907 pattern sling, a velvet feeling gun case inside a big wooden crate especially made for the gun. I think it was supposed to have a cleaning kit with it but I didn't get that....probably $10.00 at a gunshow. I've already got a 30 caliber cleaning kit from my collection of 1919A4s, so I'm not needing another cleaning kit anyway. I love the rifle. Since I believe that most Johnsons, not all, but most have been refurbished by Winfield or someone...I don't think it being a Mil-tech hurts it any. Of course, I've already completely disassembled it and cleaned it to my specifications, as it was bone dry and had not been shot since leaving Mil-tech. I inspected every aspect of the rifle and all parts look like new and are in 100% condition. There is no way to improve on it. Except of course if it could be documented to have been used by the US Marines, but it has not. I have heard some people bad-mouth Mil-tech for some reason, but I think it was just sour grapes, or maybe just because they really wanted one but couldn't afford it. M48TANKER

Owning a MilTech is like owning a sporter Winfield. They have a niche but the rifles have been completely reworked with nothing original about them.

cdj7097, Of course you are absolutely right. B) The Mil-tech rifles do however have the basic receiver, with mostly factory internals. The stocks are new and "proper" and the barrels are new, safe, shootable barrels. (They are a bit similar to "Mitchell's Mausers" in these respects.) :o They are definitely not in "as found" battlefield condition, although it might be possible to document that the serial numbered receiver was on the list of rifles in the first shipment to the NPC, and that part of the rifle might have seen action. :unsure: As with any group of "collectors", we have those who only accept documented rifles, "as found", with enough provinence. We also have those of us, as I am, who would like to have the rarest "documented" rifles but don't want to put that much money into our collection. Therefore we "settle" for a reworked or refurbished rifle that really looks good and is a "shooter". That gets us started. As we advance in our efforts to collect, and learn just what to look for in "originals", then we are more likely to invest more money in the higher end rifles that we wanted to start with. :D Collecting is a learning process. The more you research and learn about the family of rifles you wish to collect, the fewer "mistakes" :( you'll make in your purchases. With ANY Johnson you are getting one of the most sought after collector rifles out there. As a beginning collector you might possibly be safer to get a refurbished rifle that has been inspected and test fired by the factory and deemed safe and completely operable, with no worn out or missing parts. And that's my two cents worth. B) (Did you ever wonder why you put in your "two cents worth", but it's only "a penny for your thoughts"? We'ge getting shortchanged somehow) :unsure: M48TANKER

Hey Tanker I agree with you, I have quite a few shooters in my collection. They fill the hole until a better condition one comes along, or they may be a repro of something so rare that its the only thing avlb. to the average collector. Take the DROR for example, there are many on this site who have repro's built on a JSAR rec. or are like myself working on one. The originals are very few and far between and are also class 3, which puts any that might be avlb. Way out of the price range of the regular guy collector. My JSAR happens to be an original, and i consider myself lucky to have one not so nice that i can take it to the range and play with it.If the Miltech came at the right price it would be nice to have and show off without devaluing an museum quality piece. And thats my two cents worth i want my one cent change. RYCHE

Hey Tanker I agree with you, I have quite a few shooters in my collection. They fill the hole until a better condition one comes along, or they may be a repro of something so rare that its the only thing avlb. to the average collector........ And thats my two cents worth i want my one cent change. RYCHE

Ryche_me, here you go...the best I could do right now. :D

post-695-013326100 1279270966_thumb.jpg