Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cdj7097

Johnson Print Plate

8 posts in this topic

Anyone have any idea about the origin of this print plate? It's mounted on what appears to be mahogany. Plate is 3 3/4"x6 1/4" with notch cut in lower right corner. Bottom edge of plate says "Main Parts of the Johnson Semi-Automatic Rifle"

Johnson.jpg

Might possibly have been for one of Dad's earlier books or instruction manual. Can't be sure without further research.

Might possibly have been for one of Dad's earlier books or instruction manual. Can't be sure without further research.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of the wood. It's really well made out of what looks like three seperate blocks. The outboard blocks are vertical grain and the center piece has longitudinal grain.

P7210034.jpg

Grab one of the Numrich / Gun Parts catalogs and compare the wood to the print in them. It sure does look like that IIRC , including the part numbering system.

Chris

That's a great piece! I've collected several "print blocks" similar to that. My Uncle used to print a local smalltown newspaper, way back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I spent one summer visiting with him and helped to arrange the typesetting. He was using a "linotype" machine....yep really ancient. I guess that's where I picked up the interest in the printing blocks. I've got some with old cars on them for the auto dealers, some for an electrical contracting company, one from "Maytag" with a wringer type washing machine on it, etc. I believe that they are made from the melting of lead or an alloy containing lead, which is then poured into a mold or carved out block of wood. Very interesting. M48TANKER

P.S. His newspaper was "The Carlisle County News" in Bardwell, Kentucky. His name was Ralph Graves. Died many years ago.

I have a small one of just the rifle which I got on Ebay out of Conn. Wood cuts of any subject are very collectible and can be found in most antique shops. They move around the country. Mounting on wood allows the back to be sanded level so all of the image prints. Quite a nice piece. You can pull a print by inking the plate, laying paper on it and using a rubber roller for pressure. Inking supplies can be found in art stores. Some of us may be interested in buying a copy from your original plate.

I would be interested to know if it is a lead plate attached to the wood, which would lead me to believe that it was used in printing either a magazine or book. I also remember back when Linotype was used. We used to collect the old type and it was sent to the smelter room which then poured and remolded the letters and reused. Later there was another method used which I was not around for.

ArtR

I would be interested to know if it is a lead plate attached to the wood, which would lead me to believe that it was used in printing either a magazine or book. I also remember back when Linotype was used. We used to collect the old type and it was sent to the smelter room which then poured and remolded the letters and reused. Later there was another method used which I was not around for.

ArtR

It's a plate that appears to be made of lead.