Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scattershot

type 1 type 2 stocks

3 posts in this topic

I just recently discovered this site. I've collected firearms for many years and have been interested in the Johnson rifle.

My question is what is the differance between a Type 1 stock and a Type 2 stock, and what S.N did the factory switch at.

That is one of the unknown questions. There is no written record found (at the moment) that explains either what the change was or why or when it occurred.

Initially Johnson Automatics manufactured their own stocks in-house but production difficulties resulted in them being sub-contracted to the American Paper Tube Company in nearby Woonsocket, RI. This was accomplished using JAMCO machinery. No record of when this occurred has been located either.

The production log for rifles 001 to 9999 only shows rifles with a blank type for stock or the number 2. Dates re mixed even i this production log, so no definitive date of change over or why can be given.

Johnson Rifles are still one of the great unknowns.

I am of the opinion that the numbers are inspectors codes or shift number. I cannot find any difference between a "1" or "2" stock. I occasionally also see letter "K". An item such as this would almost always have an inspection or acceptance mark. In making my replacement stocks, the forward length is critical so as not to bump into rear of magazine. I think the number may have indicated the check of this dimension and the countersunk relief on the face of wood.