Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobcat

Joe Scott is THE MAN!

9 posts in this topic

Hello All - This note is for those of you who are new owners of a Johnson, or those of you who have not dealt with Joe. I was in both categories a month ago, needed some help for a "safety check" of my newly-acquired Johnson and didn't have a bolt catch but wanted one. Based on the comments from board members here, I called Joe and told him what I wanted to do. He gave me info on costs etc. and I sent him the rifle and a check to cover the prices he quoted, with some extra money for any unforseen needs. After he had taken it down, he called me to tell me what he found and what else he thought should be done to bring it up to the best level of performance. I told him go go ahead with everything he suggested. Some of the things I had asked him about were, in his opinion, not needed or recommended. In other words, he could have made more money from my requests but told me not to bother. We ended up having a couple more conversations over the phone as well. I learned a lot from each one.

When I got the gun back (quick turnaround from Joe) it was great. I took it out to my Club, with 100 rounds of that good Greek M2 ball that you can get from the CMP for a reasonable price, and expected to have some fun. There was only one problem - and Joe told me to expect it - the line almost shut down as everyone came over to see what the hell I was shooting! Well, everyone also asked if they could shoot it so I "issued" a stripper clip to about 10 guys and, after I gave them some operating instructions, I just watched. We had a lot of fun and the gun ran perfectly. It was interesting to hear some of the comments. All the Garand shooters were suitably impressed (I shoot a Garand also so I understood what they were thinking) and a couple of the younger folks were also pretty impressed.But I digress.

If any of you have any work to be done/parts needed etc. don't hesitate to call Joe. He will spend as much time as you need over the phone and will give you suggestions and tips that you haven't thought of. Oh, and when I got the gun back, I also got a check back for money he didn't use! Also, get his disk, which shows you how to completely tear down that beauty, and is filled with things he knows about the Johnson that you probably can't find anywhere else. Joe is THE MAN for Johnson work, parts, and advice. He was a real pleasure to deal with. Regards, Bob C.

I certainly agree that Mr. Joe Scott is one of the "good guys" :D of this world. I've got his CD and have purchased some parts from him. I've heard so many good things about Joe. I wish him a very long life...what would we do without him?

+1

If Joseph Scott did not offer his services on parts and help, I would be stuck with a non-working sporterized Johnson, and not know where the hell to get any help or parts. I now have a working close to military version Johnson. All thanks to Mr. Joseph Scott! :)

I must concur. Joe is a true gentleman in every sense of the word. He helped me out a lot several years ago trying to fix a basket case JSAR I had. When he couldn't make it right, he actually refused payment after putting in hour upon hour of work on it. Luckily the person who sold it to me gave me a refund. When I came across another, he helped me disassemble and inspect my new purchase and found me all the parts I'd need to make it perfect. Joe is extremely knowledgable and a genuinely GOOD person. In a world of people that always seem to be out for number one, Joe is one of those guys looking out for others. - Sandy Law

Nothing you guys don't know or hasn't already been said here, but if not for him, I'd still be wondering how to get mine back to original form. It would still be wearing it's stock with rubber recoil pad and banded ramp front sight on the barrel.

Even after learning he made what I needed, I thought it would take me a while to get it all done. I thought it would cost more money than it did, so I'd have to do it in stages. But it was quite reasonable so I boxed it all up and got everything done at once.

Instead of spending the time wondering what to do, I've been using it in it's original form for nearly two years now.

Thank you for the comments.

I have a nice 1941 Johnson but is a lightly sporterized by Winfield, I have a few of the parts to put it back to military configuration such as forearm, buttplate, bayonet lug , front sight etc. but need original or repro stock and barrel or my parts put on my barrel and would like a bayonet. I know a guy that says he has original stocks but has not put a price on them yet, I missed out on a couple barrels on gunbroker lately and missed out on several bayonets on ebay recently. I am in Texas and it might be easier just to send it to Mr. Scott and let him do what he thinks is best and most cost effective. How do I get in touch with him, phone number, email, website etc.?, thanks J.D.