Drill Sergeant

Original Johnson stocks

5 posts in this topic

I know an original unsanded stock will usually show signs of course sanding against the gain of the wood. That is not to say the same could not be done to a reproduction, so this isn't a definitive way to ID an original. Also, many originals will not have these marks because of wear, cleaning, or even light sanding.

In my observations original wood is usually darker than reproduction wood, the finishes seem to darken over time. Also, original wood seems to have taken more abuse than the metal on the gun, so it would be rare to find original wood that is in perfect shape on a gun that shows even modest wear in other areas. Originals seem to have the same dark finish under the butt plate. I think they were dipped before assembly. I dont have a sure fire way to tell, it just needs to look "right".

Someone else might have a more definitive way to tell.

-wwiifirearms

Joe Scott, in his video that he sells, shows you exactly what to look for regarding the wood being original or not. I'm not going to give his info away for free, but he might if he reads your question. Anyone who owns a Johnson should have his video. You will end up being confident enough to take the whole thing apart, not just a field strip. I have no financial interest in this, but I do have enough of an interest in Johnsons to reccomend this video at the drop of a hat.

Regards,

Bob C

Just look up at the gallery images at the top of this website. I pictured elements of an original stock. Note the 3 holes under the buttplate, the particular inletting on the face under the rear of the magazine and the letter and number stamped on the face. Repro stocks are not (as far as I have seen) inletted in this way.

The photographs show an original stock very clearly. The stocks were dipped in dark oil and are same color everywheres inside/out. The front of the stocks have the recessed (circled) area which the replacements don't have. This is very hard to do unless the original factory tools could be found(not likely). The machining of the wood is very sharp and crisp in front. I don't drill the extra holes under butt plate and also stamp "JS" on my wood so people can tell they are new.