sinker4

Magazine door sprig

9 posts in this topic

Well I was replacing the magizine housing on my rifle and broke the door spring. I called Mr Scott but he doesn't have any. Anybody have one they would be willing to part with or any idea how to make one,someone must have run into this problem. Thanks Bob

Sinker4, I don't need a spring right now but I figure that I will someday. :rolleyes: I've tried to think of different readily available materials from which a spring could be made. :blink: Banding strap, like lumber comes wrapped with, is one choice and it's free. :D It will break if bent sharply enough, back and forth, back and forth....a lot :o . But it can be formed into a suitable spring leaf...I think. I can usually look around my shop for "spring" material when I can't get the original. I may try to make a magazine spring just to see if it can be done. I'll let you know how it turns out. B) M48TANKER

Gun parts corp lists them as out of stock, I will call them and Sarco on Monday and I'm going to try "Miltech" too they restore Johnsons. Mitch J ,those look great, how did you cut the stripper clip and put the 1/2 round bend in it? Your defineately on to somthing. Bob

Mitch J ,I looked at some stippers that I have and see that you took the spring piece out of the stipper base, I'm on this now. Let me know any tips you have come up with. M48 TANKER, the banding stock is a good idea also, I'm off to Lowes tomorrow to find some.

I made a couple using the spring steel from a .308 stripper clip.

P2130019.jpg

P2130018.jpg

That's it Mitch J !!! :D:D I think I like your material source a bit better. Now why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: I've never tried banding strap for a Johnson magazine spring but I've used it for other similar applications. The stripper clip spring is actually meant to be a "spring" so that's probably a lot better. Thanks for a new source of "springs". M48TANKER

I would think a magazine spring from a 1903 or a 1903A3 might work too for fabricating. Worth a try if you have an old one available.

So far no one has any door springs. I'm in the process of getting the material together from the sugestions I got here and making one. I did here back from a spring company that said they could make it if I sent my broken pieces and some pictures so they could price it. When I hear back from them I'll post here.