Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

shooting a 1941

7 posts in this topic

Good morning, I took my new to me 1941 Johnson and went to go shooting on Saturday. Things started out well but after 3 rounds the rifle was not completely ejecting the cases. This happened 5 times out of the 10 rounds I loaded. After looking at my brass the rim had a unusual mark on the rim, there was a slot cut through the rim about 1/16" wide and the thickness of the rim. Ill try to do pics well see how it works out. Does this sound like anything someone here has seen ? thanks Paul

Recommend posting quality photos to better address issue

Sounds like your extractor ( on the bolt ) is pulling through the rim. Your chamber is prob'ly a little frosted or pitted or rough. Your cases , when they expand and seal upon firing , are being held in by the rough surface making the extraction hard to do. You will prob'ly have to have the chamber polished back to smooth . Simple job ( due to the ease of bbl removal to get to the chamber ) and can be checked to see if this is the case.

Chris

To check your chamber, polish some new rounds with Skotch brite by chucking on bullet in a 3/8" variable speed drill. Rotate fairly slowly until cases are clean of all marks. Test fire and then inspect brass with a magnifier looking for small "pulled" or smeared spots where the brass went into fine pits. They are likely very small and a little hard to see. If you have them, try cleaning chamber with shotgun brush and bore cleaner. If cases still stick, chamber will need honing.

Yes, you can use photobucket, Hunt101, or some of the others. Or use the application near the bottom left of this page where it says, "Attach This File"....and then browse your computer for the photo you want to post. If you have any problems just send me the photo and I'll post it for you. M48TANKER Here is a sample I attached from one of my computer's folders using the system below...just follow all the prompts.

When you hit the "Reply" button...You'll see "Attachments"..."Browse...", "Clear selection", and underneath that: "Attach This File" just below the box for the text. Click on "Browse"...select the photo on your computer that you want to post...click "OK" or "Open" for that photo. Then click "Attach This File" and when the thumbnail shows up on the left...select "Add to Post" at the opposite right side. Then go to the bottom and click "Add Reply".... That's it.