Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gonzo

V Notch Modification on Rear Sight

16 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've been reading about the V notch some Marines supposedly cut and filed into the rear sight to allow some of them a better sight picture during battle. Can some one post what one of these V notched rear sights looked like? Thank you.

I find it interesting that 20-30 years ago you really never saw a Johnson with "V" notch sights , maybe only 1-2 per 100. In the last few years it's been harder to find one without them.

Just an observation offered in a funny , kinda heart breaking , tear jurking sort of way.

Chris

I have repaired several that the vee-notch was still bright from filing. This was a common conversion on many military rifles in the past as it was thought that it was easier to follow a running animal with the notch.

Has anyone here shot a Johnson with the V-Notch? Curious to know how it compares to the regular peep sight.

I have an extra rear sight. Thinking of trying it out. :P

Hey Gonzo: If your sight is an original, i will trade you a new made that you can cut and file on without the tears of messing with an orig. part. :unsure:

I have an extra new made that i bought several years ago.

Ryche

Hi Ryche,

The rear sight I have is already bubba'd. Its not all original and that was the one I was thinkin of modifying. Sorry man.

"It never hurts to ask" :lol: .........I've got an aftermarket, bubba'd rear sight, the V-notch was done with a dull file just last week in an attempt to fool me into thinking that a Winfield Sporter was actually a "Marine Johnson". :P I'd like to trade this sight, even, for an original complete rear sight assembly, with an unaltered peep. Anyone wanna trade? :D

Hey Tanker: how bad is the notch cut? Anything else wrong with it? Since they are both new made sights i might be interested in a trade . maybe throw up a photo or send one to me on a P.M.

Thanks Ryche

Ryche, I'll have to dig the thing out of my gunsafe and have another look at it.

Personally, I'm beginning to not mind "field expedient" modifications of a few rifles. Having spent a bit of time in the jungles of Southeast Asia, I can understand how those WW2 GIs might want to modify the peep sight. Fast target acquisition can be imperative.....if you have time to aim at all. :o

I do prefer a collectible firearm to be in original condition, but I won't pass one up if the modification was actually done in theater.

My point was that decades ago you just never saw a filed sight. After the book came out , it's been a lot harder to find one that's NOT cut.

Not that anyone would do that to make someone think it was an original USMC rifle . <_<

Chris

My Johnson Serial number B-7539 :mellow: has the old original peep sight. No one got loose with a file! :angry2:

People that intenionally misrepresent any firearm for profit should be prosecuted for fraud and be permanently banned from forums and auction sites IMHO.

I find the (and I don't know if it is just because of my cheek placement) rear sight apertures (hole) on my Johnsons to be too small compared to the sight pictures on Garands, 1903a3s, etc.