Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sepp44

Barrel length

10 posts in this topic

I recently bought a very nice Johnson in the no prefix, 67xx serial range, and when I compared it to my other Johnson rifles, the barrel was just under an inch shorter than the others, and does not protrude much beyond the front sight. The new one measures 21 13/16" from the rear of the collar, my others measured 22 11/16". It has two small machined notches opposite each other where the barrel begins to taper ahead of the collar. It has no bayonet lug. The rifle is in fine condition overall, and I wonder if the barrel is an 03 Springfield, etc? There are no markings I can see, and overall it is like new. The seller says it was his fathers, and sat in a closet for as long as he could remember. The price was low enough to rule out any kind of hustle on his end. Of course, it was missing the hold open, but I have some extras I keep for this purpose. It looks almost new.

Any Garand or 03 barrel should have marks. I have a Winfield sporter whose barrel has been shortened (no bayonet lug), but it is a Johnson barrel.

Post a picture if you can.

I tried to enter some pictures, but I was unable to do so. Can do it via email. Also have picture of one I got from Capt. Johnsons estate years ago. It has a military marked scope mounted.

The one in question has no marks on the barrel of any kind except for the 2 notches, which are about 1/4 inch long. The seller knew nothing about the rifle except his dad treasured it. Anyone interested in pics can email me at: stan_cpr AT yahoo.com

The two small grooves are where a Garand hand guard clip grabbed a m1 barrel. These were common and cheap in years past, I have seen many of them used on Johnsons.

Joe is correct, but a Garand barrel should be marked even if it is a non-GI aftermarket barrel. A picture of the barrel removed from the rifle, so we can see the rest of it would be helpful.

When they turned the Garand barrels to Johnson profile, that took off the markings which were on the edge of the enlarged area. The only clue are the little grooves where the hand guard clip attached. I have never found a replacement barrel with any makers marks.