Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adriaan de Jong

M1941 Queen Wilhelmina Presentation Rifle

13 posts in this topic

Last weekend I visited the Museum Bronbeek in Arnhem, the Netherlands. Bronbeek is a home for disabeld and retired soldiers, that was founded on February 19, 1863. The estate was a gift by King Willem III.

Until 1961 Bronbeek was used only for former soldiers who served in the Dutch KNIL army, based in the Dutch East Indies. But, Bronbeek is still focused very much on the KNIL and the Dutch East Indies. More on Bronbeek can be found here: http://www.defensie....ronbeek/museum/ Unfortunately it's only in Dutch, but gives you a nice Impression of this home.

The ex soldiers actually live in a Museum: part of the Building contains a very nice collection about the history of the Dutch East Indies, nowadays also with a quite critical view on what was done there especially after WW 2 finished and the Indonesians fought for their independence.

I was very happy to find a pleasant surpise in the Museum: it now contains the Johnson M1941 Presentationrifle that Melvin Johnson gave to the Dutch Queen Wilhelmina. You will remember that this rifle was in the collection of Henk Visser, missing the Inscribed plate on the stock(see "The Book "). Last time I saw this rifle was a couple of years ago when it was hidden away in the depot of the Dutch army Museum. There the plate was missing, now it's back where it belongs.

It was not easy to make pictures, as the rifle is secure behind glass. But let me tell you in reality it is presented very well. This is one beautifull M1941!

On the picture of the KNIL soldiers leaving for Australia, you can see they both carry a Johnson rifle.

post-531-0-92263300-1323692859_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-07879300-1323692910_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-33429700-1323692980_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-26067500-1323693098_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-32527500-1323693194_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-73275500-1323693264_thumb.jpg

Excellent Find! Delighted to also see also that the plate has been restored to the rifle. Thank you very much as well for the photos.

Ed,

you're welcome!

I guess the plate stayed in the collection of the Dutch royal family when Henk Visser got the rifle. How he managed to get it in the first place is unknown, him being a close personal friend of the late Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands might have helped....

I am glad the two came together again, this rifle sure has a great historical value for the Dutch.

Adriaan

For both the Dutch and guys like us. What a great find and thanks for the photos. This is a rifle that deserves to be in a museum where it can be appreciated by all, i think to have a rifle like this in a personal collection is not a good thing.

Thanks Adriaan.

Mitch,

it's a small hand held scythe used to cut grass etc.

Ryche,

your right, a rifle like this belongs in a museum. Fortunately the Dutch invested lot's of money in their Museum's and preservation of their history in the last 2 decades or so, this get's especially clear when you look at the militairy one's. These were clearly not first in the line to get funds, that has changed very much, also with the help of some private sponsors.

Now f.i. the Dutch army museum in delft(www.legermuseum.nl) and the "Oorlogsmuseum" in Overloon(www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/) are definitely worth a visit. The website of the Legermuseum contains a varible treasure of information on the army, and it's getting better all the time. They are also very helpfull with identifying Dutch arms and other research topics, don't hesitate to ask them if you have any questions in this area.

Adriaan

post-531-0-99839500-1323756333_thumb.jpgHere some more impressions of the Bronbeek collection:

The big cannon lying on the floor is turkish made. It was taken at one of the battles for Atjeh. It's 5,4 meters long, weighs 5800 kg, caliber is 20 cm(about 8 inches).

The one with the stone "bullet" was probably more for showing off. The walls of the cannon seem mighty thin to withstand the pressures generated by shooting a 60 cm(24 inch.....) projectile.

post-531-0-80285300-1323756263_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-20206100-1323756375_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-22899200-1323756447_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-10250600-1323756504_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-45322700-1323756561_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-66009500-1323756643_thumb.jpg

post-531-0-00724400-1323757077_thumb.jpg

Adriaan: WOW thanks for the other photos.

I'm one of those collectors that my interest runs to many diffrent weapons systems. The Johnson system is a passion, but that broomhandle is beautiful. Also love Lugers thats what i started with. Is the water cooled sitting in the same case a Vickers gun? The cocking handle looks like it but the butt dosn't.

Oh yeah also have a real thing for Maxim guns.

Oh well so many COOL toys so little spendable cash. :wacko:

Ryche

Ryche,

yes, that's a vickers. I cannot tell you which type it is. The KNIL army used the Vickers in several different lay outs: infantry, armoured cars, navy and two types in aircraft(one shooting straight ahead through the propellor and one for the observer on the plane).

It looks to me that the one in the picture could be an aircraft MG, but I am not sure. Unfortunately I did not make a good picture of the "butt".

If you want to start collecting KNIL used Machine Guns, here is your wishlist for Christmas:

- Hotchkiss

- Maxim

- Madsen M23

- Lewis M1917

- BAR

- Vickers M23

- Colt M1917A1

- Colt MG38B

- Colt-Browning MG40

- Breda M30

- Johnson LMG

- Brengun MK1

As you see, during 1940 to 1942 they bought everything they could lay their hands on.

If you want to know more, there is a good book that covers all arms used by the KNIL(handguns, rifles MG's etc):

"Nederlandse Vuurwapens KNIL en Militaire Luchtvaart 1897-1942" by Martens and De Vries. ISBN 90 6707 4012. It is available f.i. at the bookshop of the Dutch Gunmagazine "SAM": www.samwapenmagazine.nl You have to look under "boekenservice".

Of course it also contains the Johnson story. Alas, the book is in dutch, but that's easy to learn.....even small kids in Holland can speak and read it, so it should be no problem for you.... :D

greetings

Adriaan

Well i have a good start, I have four of them. As for learning Dutch I may be a little old for that , I should have done it when i lived in Germany. ;)

Thanks once again for the great photos and the historical links.

Happy holidays to you and your family.

Ryche