Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LEEP

New to me Johnson 1941

11 posts in this topic

I purchased a 1941 Johnson that has a threaded barrel and a strange compensator on it. The comp was stamped USMC. It was parked like the bbl. (note the key word "was"...) 2nd round downrange and the compensator flew into the netherlands somewhere past the left sock mountain. I searched the range for weeks and can only figure it either flew over the berm (100yds) or it's in the woods to the left and I'd need a metal detector to find it.

The stock itself has a nicely done repair with USMC 1943 on one side straddling the repair and an ordnance crossed cannon stamped over the other side. Match is perfect. But I would like to replace the barrel with one that isn't threaded and has the bayonet lug like this one. Is there any place or anyone who would be a source for an original barrel? It just don't look right with the threads. I don't know if this was some US goverment mod or trial or if bubba got "ahold" of my Johnson and threaded it. I mostly shoot/build FALS but had to have a Johnson in my "US military longarms of the 20th Century" collection.

-1894 .30-40 Krag, 1903, 1903A3, Model 1917, M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M1A, Ar-15A1 and M-4.

Thanks in advance for any leads on a barrel. I don't own any safe queens and my Johnson gets shot at least once a year.

Pun intended. LeeP

Your Compensator Safety String must have failed...

Seriously, I doubt if it went 100 yds, but the metal detector is a good idea. Do you know what kind of compensator it was??

Joseph Scott on this site has replacement barrels, He can get you the proper setup.

I sold a really good Johnson Barrel on Gunbroker.com last year, you might check there.

Hope you find a good one, Mitch

If I remember right there was a set screw under the comp. I guess it failed. Thanks for the advice. I will try to get in touch with Mr. Scott.

Joseph Scott - navigate to members pages under J's and search....you can PM him from there

Hello, I'd sure be interested to see that barrel. Love to see the compensator too. It would be great if you could get a buddy with a metal detector and find it. Sounds very unusual to me. What is the length of the barrel and is it in good shape otherwise? Pictures would be great. TANKER

If you are in Northern Ohio, I've got a metal detector. However, if people shoot steel case at the range you may spend all day picking up cheap Russian 7.62x39 cases.

-wwiifirearms

I got the barrel and found it threaded 14mm rh for about 5/8". They had faced off the front of the sight also. Repaired by removing cut sight, machined threaded section to 7/16" and made sleeve for correct diameter with the joint ending up covered by a new front sight. A really nice original barrel with good bore now looks proper. Don't know what compensator had 14mm right hand thread, most AK types are 14mm LH.

FAL inch pattern aka L1A1. Actually 9/16 x 24 RH. IIRC

I can't wait to see it and get the new buttstock on! I'll work on posting pics if I get signed up with a photohosting site that I can figure out. Otherwise I'd have to email someone a pic and see if they'd post if for me. Thanks, Mr. Scott, for your expertise, help and knowledge and getting my barrel repaired. I'm glad it worked out to keep the original.

14mm and 9/16 are very close . I just screwed a 9/16 course nut onto a 14mm-2.0 bolt and it went over half way before the thread count locked her up. I have an example of a M-65 Reising .22 that the USMC suppressed to kill vermin in the supply dumps in the PTO without awaking the sleeping troops . It had the front sight set back to give room for the threads and they used 9/16 SAE fine threads for the suppressor mounting because SAE was the newest and bestest ( according to SAE ) . You may have an original experimental test bed there .

Chris