Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dash

Hurray for me!!!

7 posts in this topic

Finally finally finally got the recoil spring out! Took a wee bit of thinking, but it worked. I was pretty sure the FAL tool that's used to remove the pistol grip nut would also fit the slots and sure enough it did. Had my father hold the stock while I turned the tool with some box end wrenches looped over the t-handle for extra leverage.

The spring is only 11 1/2" long...I know spec is 12" and the spare spring I have is 11 7/8" and is obviously stiffer. Can the 11 1/2" still be used without ill effects? I do plan on using the 11 7/8", but wow is the tube filthy.

A good cleaning is necessary and will help. But do not use the the 11-1/2" spring as the short spring can cause ejection problems, fired cases most likely will be dented and thrown too far away. Also this cause a violent ejection of the fired case. The 11-7/8" spring may work but for $20 + shipping you can get a new recoil spring from Joseph Scott.

That was the last thing on the gun I had to get apart and clean. I was worried I couldn't get it apart because it was rusted, but it looks like it's only old grease in the tube. In the meantime, I'll put it back together with the 11 7/8" spring after the cleaning and then get it to the range again. At least it'll come apart easily next time.

Always a fan of spare anythings, so Mr Scott may get a PM about a new spring.

Also the DVD he has for sale is a treasure chest of disassembly and maintenance tips. He also is a big fan of LSA for lubing the M1941.

Hey Dash Good thought about using the FAL tool.

I also have done this but never thought about posting the info. Stupid me.

Anyway good luck with her at the range. Gotta agree with Metrotps though get a new spring so you don't put undue pressure on you ejector, if you break it they are kinda hard to find.

Ryche

Heya Mitch, these are just like the Tapco tool I have, so there's no reason to think that either wouldn't work too...

http://www.milsurpst...=TLF001&cat=122

http://www.midwayusa...ion-tool-fn-fal

I made attempts in the past with a large srewdriver, but I couldn't get enough force to break it loose. Plus, I was worried about the blade not staying in the slot and buggering up something.