Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mitch J

Gun Auctions

3 posts in this topic

Just curious what the general opinion is of the online auction houses dealing in collectible rifles and hand guns.

I have had good luck with GunBroker.com but I follow GunsAmerica.com and GunAuction.com.

There are many others like RockIsland Auction and Penny Gun auction.

What do you think? What has worked best for you as far as the final sales price, commission percentage and other fees involved in listings.

Thanks for your opinion..And Yes, I know what they say about OPINIONS..

M.Johnson

post-157-0-89218000-1335105783_thumb.jpg

Mitch, (and for everyone else's reference, as well)

Although I have an obvious interest in the firearms products designed by my father, including projects that we worked on together towards the end of his life, nevertheless I do not consider myself a true collector, much less an expert, on firearms. So I will speak only as an observer...and not a very happy one.

What I have noticed, in general, is that auction houses prefer to have the seller's products be bid at the highest possible price. One reason is that their commissions may be based on dollar volume, which places them in the position of encouraging any info that increases the historical attractiveness (and price) of said product.

Some dealers and auction houses do want to protect their reputations and will therefore actually pay attention if someone complains about a product not being what the owner claims it to be. A few years ago, some Johnson rifles were purported to be authentic "Queen of the Netherland" presentation rifles for sale by a reputable firearms dealer. In point of fact, only one such rifle was ever produced (refer to Canfield's JOHNSON RIFLES and MACHINE GUNS, published by MOWBRAY, page 112). When this info was pointed out to the dealer, he co-operated responsibly and made an appropriate change in advertising description and price.

However, several months ago, one of the larger auction houses offered some Johnson products that were being touted as special production prototypes, complete with special serial numbers that did not even relate properly to the appropriate Johnson patent dates. They were also being advertised at highly inflated prices and I received inquiries as to their validity. After conferring with others, I contacted the auction house directly with E-mails and even a certified letter, identifying myself and pointing out the discrepancies in their advertising. They have never replied to me.

In also consulting with others concerning possible legal issues, I was advised that an auction house or dealer can always try to claim lack of knowledge, stating that they are simply using material supplied by the seller or family, etc. Therefore, it can sometimes be difficult to assign blame to them directly. Many won't respond to the threat of losing their reputation and will simply rely upon their size and advertising to steamroll over any misunderstandings. Some of them may also be paying attorneys on a regular basis to deal with "complaints."

So, anyone who is selling something wants something in return and, unfortunately, some folks will distort truth to get more value. I'm glad, at least, that we have a Web site like this one that can help weed out such problems once in a while. Unfortuanately, when a buyer is on the auction floor, sees something advertised attractively, WANTS to believe what he sees and...worse...has the money to buy it...we can't really help.

As the old saying goes...."let the buyer beware."

Dear Mitch ,

I participated in one of the "record setting " Johnson auctions from The Gunrunner Auctions ( fortunately I lost my nerve prior to the final gavel).I did later buy a JA 1941 from their store that was legit and as advertised . I also bought a fake trench gun from him and when I called him I was told that they were not his specialty and was given an appology and a prompt refund as soon as I sent in documentaion from Mr Canfield's book. In short they seem to be honest folks .Very different from the sites that sell the " one of a kind prototypes without documentation ".In short look out for auction houses that promise the moon .

Good Luck ,

RIGUNNER