Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Brown

Serial number

4 posts in this topic

JSAR #9486 is one of the few documented US Marine corps rifles. It is listed in Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns page 249. The data on it is as follows:

Received from Cranston Arms 3/13/42

Stock #2

BBL #2906F

Hammer block #8858

Hammer #A0155A

Bolt #7966

Locking Cam #8590

Firing Pin #A8534

Extractor #9817

Magazine #7126

Transferred to New River (Marines) 3/26/42

Note: of the estimated 800 JSARs in US service during WWII, 9486 is one of the very few which is documented. Indeed, it was one of 23 delivered to New River (now Camp Lejuene) as a loan to the Marine Corps. It was undoubtedly used in the initial Guadalcanal campaign making it a most historically significant JSAR.

Thank you for all the help and information. It is invalueable.Thank you for making it available. On this day of memory I would like to thank my uncle who left me the JSAR that he used in the Pacific campain WW2. Also my other uncle Harry, who recieved the Silver Star postumously after 28 days on Iwo Jima. It was his twenty first birthday.

John,

I cuncur with the comments above by Brian Alpert. At some point, I think it would be appropriate if you could take photos of the rifle which can be shared on this site. Additionally, any comments you may have concerning the combat history with family members would be very appropriate.

Please let us know if you need any help with such a project.