Joseph Scott

Barrels not made by factory

10 posts in this topic

I get inquiries about none original barrels so I thought I would offer what I think I know. Winfield Arms (importer) had new barrels made for their sporter versions. These were usually polished and blued with no stampings as to maker. Most common, replacements were made from Garand barrels which were available new at very cheap cost for the time. They can usually be identified by a small short groove on the chamber shoulder where the hand guard clip mounted. Again no stampings as to maker. Sometimes I see one with the caliber stamped on it somewheres. I think these were individually made by gunsmiths. Why would anyone want to sell a good original barrel? I blew $550 on an original barrel at local gun show which had a good bore but had severe erosion at the neck area beyond saving. If you want a factory barrel, only buy it if they give money back after test firing, get their name and address. On my barrels, I stamp "JS" and ".30-06". I tried cutting an old M1 barrel to see how they did it. Trying to cut the interrupted chamber area almost tore up my lathe. They must have known some trick on how to do it.

The sporter ramp sights usually have a hidden screw under the sight bead. Some are also soldered in place. Sometimes I see a collar which is white (chromed), I believe these were done by Winfield to save worn parts by building up the diameters and regrinding to specification. To my knowledge, no one else did these. I also see rear collars which have been faced off shorter by someone trying to recut chamber for correct headspace. These are not useable as they don't give room for the extractor. Correct method is to shorten barrel shoulder/threads by one or more complete exact turns. Then recut extractor clearance and finally install a spacer behind the center collar the same thickness as what was cut off. This maintains the correct location of barrel to bolt and leaves sight upright.

If anyone can contribute to information, please do so. Joe

Below are a couple of photos of the chamber area of a barrel on a Johnson that is in original configuration, and seems to be absolutely correct in all other ways. Any idea what the markings are Joe?

Thanks!

post-25-0-47184900-1338602316_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-46545500-1338602329_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-79455200-1338602347_thumb.jpg

I am not sure but my guess is that the factory redid a barrel that was off on headspace. Haven't seen the star in that location. Maybe the inspector accepted the rework. Other opinions?

Could be one of the spare barrels that were supplied as part of the spares that were ordered with the rifles by NPC. The barrel only being accepted not the whole rifle.

Hope you don't mind a question about Winfield Arms. I have a Johnson sold to me as a Winfield Arms rifle. It is all blued and in near mint condition. It has military sights and a bayonet lug. My question is that nowhere can I find any Winfield markings. The original Johnson markings are all visible but subdued I suppose from the polishing before bluing. Are the Winfield Arms rifles marked in any way?

Thanks,

Forrest

The only Winfield markings I have seen on their sporterized rifles were a rubber recoil pad with "Winfield Arms" written in script withing the moulding. I have seen no other specific 'Winfield' markings.

The front sights occasionally will have an intertined 'WS". This is a Williams Sight Company ramp sight.

Their sporter stocks also have a more pronounced pistol grip. I don't know how many of the script butt pads they used because I have seen Winfield stocks with non script pads. They sold various grades and versions depending on what the customer wanted. I have seen several with gold plated triggers. They also mounted scopes by modifying a Weaver rail so the front end fit in the original dovetail and usually had 4-6 screws behind the dovetail, not in front. Their work was usually pretty good. Any gun with excess buffing or edge of top rounded off was likely not their work.

Returning to the Barrel: I also have a barrel with the star.Also with J.A.30-06 next to it and 45-06 on the other side of it. It has no serial number just a 41 stamped where it should be. Any thoughts?